Multi-Dock

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

NeilParfitt

Multi-Dock

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 am

Hi First time poster,

So - I'm looking at this multi-dock rack.. and technical and marketing seem to be muddled.

Right on BM's site:

"Extreme Thunderbolt™ Speed
Transfer high quality video
at a blazing 20 Gb/s Data transfer Speed"

That's the speed of the bus, and NOWHERE close to the speeds available because of the SATAII chips being used... even in RAID!

"MultiDock features a completely independent SATA 3 disk interface chip per disk slot so you never get slowdowns because of SATA bandwidth issues."

.. but that contradicts using SATA6 drives... as it's already technically crippled by 1/2! Is this using independent SATA III chips or SATA 3G chips... which is it??

If it's only 3G chips, why has this thing not been updated with SATA6 controller chips per drive - tech that was available years before the release of this product? Thunderbolt II is more than capability of handling full SATA III / 6G rates to each drive. This thing is still listing at over $600 dollars... where an OWC 4 bay or AKiTiO Thunder2 Quad gives way more data transfer speeds for the same money.

I LOVE the aesthetic of this multidock rack, but performance is puzzling. Especially, when I can get a TB2 to PCIe chassis with a 4 port SATA6 card, 4 external SATA III/6G bays for a comparable price foffering double the performance PER drive.

So I'd love to know the ACTUAL lowdown on this thing... what are you getting per drive .. i.e.: Samsung EVO in a JBOD situation ...

Thanks!

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Multi-Dock

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 8:24 am

NeilParfitt wrote:Hi First time poster,

That's the speed of the bus, and NOWHERE close to the speeds available because of the SATAII chips being used... even in RAID!

Where do you see that they are using SATAII chips? This entire rant seems to come from not reading the specs:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmultidock/techspecs
SSD Interface
4 x 2.5" SATA 3 6Gb/s.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 12:42 pm

This device is build to make a faster offload of video data of your SSD drives possible... Instead of going trough USB2 or 3 with a disk adapter..

This device is not ment for a disk array to your computer.. :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jack Fairley

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:This device is not ment for a disk array to your computer.. :lol:

Of course, that didn't stop BMD from including a section about how you can use it as RAID storage with software RAID...
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Philipma1957

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:This device is build to make a faster offload of video data of your SSD drives possible... Instead of going trough USB2 or 3 with a disk adapter..

This device is not ment for a disk array to your computer.. :lol:

it is absolutely outstanding as a jbod for mac minis

bullet proof. I have many mac minis and have used many cases as jbod.

This is more stable then any one there is. My great source of frustration has been to find one that works as well as this at a better price. As 595 is costly.

In fact I joined this forum to find if someone would sell me a used one at a decent price. :D

As A could use a second one.

Return to Getting Started