Cfa files taking over harddrive

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Baring

Cfa files taking over harddrive

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

After a few months of installing Resolve, I noticed a slowdown in my pc performance. When I looked further, I found that a huge portion of my harddrive is taken up by video associated .cfa, .pek, and other associated files. Its literally taking up 151 GB of my 465 GB drive and about half of the non-system area. I've purged the video caches of Bridge and Lightroom, but still they remain. I don't have any other Adobe products, or video editing apps, so I'm assuming those files are from Resolve. Most of the files are .cfa files of .mp4 of news clips, documentaries, etc that I never intended to be a part of my video editing.

How can I purge these files from my harddrive and keep them again from being swept up in the roundup that occurs on install?

Thanks for the help,

Robert

HansSpoor

Re: Cfa files taking over harddrive

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm

.cfa - are audio conform files created by Adobe Premiere. Are you using Premiere? Then check the following:
https://screenlight.tv/blog/the-definit ... edia-cache

I do not know if Resolve also use .cfa files - if you only use Resolve, which release?

Robert Baring

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 1:18 am

Using Resolve 14. No, Lightroom and Photoshop are my only Adobe products, so I assume the files were from Resolve.

Thanks for the help. Whatever produced the .cfa files, it has swept up random video clips and mp4s and is taking up my harddrive.

Robert

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 am

Robert Baring wrote:How can I purge these files from my harddrive and keep them again from being swept up in the roundup that occurs on install?

What happens if you do a manual search for just the .CFA and .PEK files and then delete them and empty the trash?

But before you do this, I'd give you two bits of advice:

1) get a bigger boot drive

2) back up everything before you do a manual delete, just on the possibility that you might delete too much.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Robert Baring

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 4:14 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I could do that, but that assumes I don't want any of the video files it has captured and turned into cfa files. I was hoping that someone could tell me definitively that they were from Resolve or not.

Robert

Return to DaVinci Resolve