Bugs on P4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Engdahl

Bugs on P4K

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 pm

I’ve noticed through out the day that the touch screen stops working from time to time. Thank god for the quick buttons but hopefully this can be resolved with camera FW. I have a video I could link when I get home.

Also assume we could use this thread to add other bugs we might find.

Chris Engdahl

Re: Bugs on P4K

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 12:47 pm

So not only does it stop working. This happened. Almost like I'm pressing the screen randomly over and over.

https://vimeo.com/297928983/7681eac71e

Thomas Schumacher

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 pm

I never had this behaviour with batteries of any brand, so this sadly seems more likely to be a faulty unit than a bug.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Robert Niessner

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 10:10 pm

I had the same erratic behavior like Chris yesterday. Camera was doing touch focusing all by itself randomly on the screen. After powering off and on again everything was back to normal. This has been the only time I had this error in many hours of usage so far.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Phillip Bergman

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 pm

This isn't really a bug with the camera itself, but I noticed that the battery that ships with the camera is like the $5 knock off batteries you can buy from amazon that are absolutely crap. The battery won't even charge lol.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 am

Robert Niessner wrote:I had the same erratic behavior like Chris yesterday. Camera was doing touch focusing all by itself randomly on the screen. After powering off and on again everything was back to normal. This has been the only time I had this error in many hours of usage so far.

Was it multiple areas of the screen? Or was it on the same spot?

Robert Niessner

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:44 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:I had the same erratic behavior like Chris yesterday. Camera was doing touch focusing all by itself randomly on the screen. After powering off and on again everything was back to normal. This has been the only time I had this error in many hours of usage so far.

Was it multiple areas of the screen? Or was it on the same spot?

It was multiple areas of the screen. It looked like someone randomly tapping the screen to start the AF over and over again. I could see the AF square appearing then the focus did its hunting, then the square appeared somewhere else and so on. Could only stop it by turning the camera off - the screen wasn't reacting to my touches anymore.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 pm

It’s Hallowe’en and this is sounding like a scary scene in a movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Spencer Acoustics

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 9:49 pm

Only bug I've had so far is that my pre-order has not arrived. Lots of strange activity. I am constantly checking my email. I answer the phone and get disappointed because it's not my camera store calling. I run to the front door whenever I hear a noise hoping that it was UPS. The symptoms keep getting worse. Now I'm spending hours on the Blackmagic forum looking for any sign of relief. I'm watching any YouTube video that even mentions the P4K. I keep spending money on lenses and cables and SSD's and have nothing to attach them to. Madness I say, MADNESS!! Now I'm hearing rumors of Dec 30 shipping dates? Bugs? I've got the worst bug of all..................NO CAMERA!
Spencer Acoustics

P4K, Rokinon Cine DS lenses
Asus Deluxe x299
Intel 7940X 14 core cpu
32GB ram
EVGA 3050 8GB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 - Windows
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 - programs
Samsung 960 EVO ssd - storage
1-WD Black - storage
4-WD Blue - storage
DR Studio

Jim Giberti

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Was it multiple areas of the screen? Or was it on the same spot?

I almost forgot that this did happen to me on a shoot a couple of weeks ago.

We were actually shooting scenes of a soccer mom at a game for a spot, with the Olympus 40-150mm. I was grabbing B-roll close up action of the game and trying out the touch AF to see how it would work - which it did well. But at one point it got all wonky, went out of focus and wouldn't respond. I think I rebooted the camera to get it back.

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 4:44 am

Spencer, I’m sorry that we’ve been unable to release an effective vaccine against the BMD Bug. Problem is that by the time the vaccine is perfected, there’s a new strain almost every year!

I’ve consulted the College of Cinematographers and the best advice we’ve heard is that of avoidance: try to minimize contact with others who are possibly infected, and definitely limit high risk behaviour such as tuning in to NAB and IBC each year!

The College has never really seen anything like the intensity of this bug since the RED infection and that was comparatively minor as it was restricted to people relatively well off financially who could get through the cycle without going mad.

The BMD bug is different, it’s affecting most of the first world and even the second world. It’s struck lower and middle income brackets and has been caught by an increasing number of the fairer sex that normally have been immune to it in previous outbreaks.

I’ve respectfully advised the College that fewer than 1% of those who appear to have caught the bug have successfully managed to follow their advice. It appears that 99% continue to engage in risky behaviour and have even united in a self-help group that is hardly more than a balm that brings only temporary relief. The self-help group is called The Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography