12G Fiber Mini Converter - SFP 7 Cable Recommendations

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
videokilledtheradiostar

12G Fiber Mini Converter - SFP 7 Cable Recommendations

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 5:15 pm

A few questions on additional parts to use the 12G Fiber Mini Converter as I do not see this covered adequately in documentation or on the forum:

1) SFP Modules - BMD & 3rd Party

I see that BMD offer 3G and 6G SFP modules (though you have to look at the camera section of the BMD website to find the SFP modules - they are not on the micro converter pages) ) but what are the recommended characteristics for a 3rd party SFP that will support 6G (bidirectional full-duplex 2160/60) ? Any suggestions as to 3rd party suppliers for this?

2) Fiber Optic Cable

From looking elsewhere (again not on the BMD website or documentation) I believe that the 12G fiber micro converters only works with Single Mode fiber and that it should use LC connectors with UPC polish, is that correct? For full duplex operation do I need single or dual strand fiber cable? Are there any recommended suppliers/part numbers? I want to run 6G full duplex over several hundred meters in temporary installations, connecting e.g. BMD micro studio camera 4K to ATEM or connecting two PC's with BMD SDI cards sending 2160/60 duplex..

Thanks for any assistance:)

Xtreemtec

Re: 12G Fiber Mini Converter - SFP 7 Cable Recommendations

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 10:44 am

1: You need to google for 12G-SDI SFP's. There are several vendors that deliver them. But they aren't cheap. ~$200 a piece.
No you can not use network SFP's for this!!

2: You don't want to invest anymore in MultiMode fiber. only in SingleMode fiber. You need 2 strands (or 2 core) fiber to run signals in both directions. Unless you tkae a BiDi SFP. But they are much more expensive and not to find for 12G. (at least nobody can deliver.. Some websites mention they have one)

For your info. You are talking about 6G and 2160P60.. But 6G only goes up to 2160P30 and 12G goes to 2160P60! ;)
The MicroStudioCamera is only up to 6G. So a 6G sfp would be sufficient enough! Also if you don't have a Atem 4ME Broadcast or Atem Television Studio Pro 4K. You don't need 12G fiber.. As all other Atems are 6G or 3G..
THe converters will work with SM and MM, if it wasn't for the fact that MM sfp's are no longer produced..
So the best call is going Singlemode.. Which will give you the best performance.
There are several vendors or fiber, But personally i use FieldCast fiber. Which is a affordable fiber that has strong connectors instead of LC's on the fiber which are very funerable for breaking..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production