Hi8 Capture through intensity shuttle USB in Windows

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mumblypeg

Hi8 Capture through intensity shuttle USB in Windows

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Greetings,
I am new to posting in the forum, I have read every post related to my issue and have not found resolution (pun intended). I have a Sony Camcorder with TBC, and am connecting with s-video. When I play the video hooked up through a receiver, my tv shows a 480p signal. The receiver is Yamaha and may be de-interlacing. When viewing the signal on PC in the media express capture tab, It says it is 720x486i59.94 which sounds right I guess... When I playback through the receiver the picture is about as good as SD can be, but when I capture the jaggies are made significantly worse.
In the Desktop Video Setup I have the standard set to 525i59.94 which is the closest option. I have tried capture trying to use the intensity shuttle to upscale to various resolutions, and I have tried with no input or output conversion.
The only conclusion that I can come up with is the difference between 486 and 525 is causing the problem.

Secondly is there a codec I can use to capture with that will be good quality with a reasonable file size and not require the second step with Handbrake to compress?

Denny Smith

Re: Hi8 Capture through intensity shuttle USB in Windows

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:31 pm

There is no 480p resolution, SD480 is 486i59.94 interlace standard NTSC SD. Your Hi8 camcorder, like VHS camcorders, has a fairy unstable TC signal, and the camcorders TBC is very minimal, designed to work with analog systems, not digital. You need a real TBC between the camcorder and Intensity Shuttle, to reclick the video signal to get a clean capture. Search “capturing VHS video” on the Live Production Forum
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mumblypeg

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Denny Smith wrote:There is no 480p resolution, SD480 is 486i59.94 interlace standard NTSC SD. Your Hi8 camcorder, like VHS camcorders, has a fairy unstable TC signal, and the camcorders TBC is very minimal, designed to work with analog systems, not digital. You need a real TBC between the camcorder and Intensity Shuttle, to reclick the video signal to get a clean capture. Search “capturing VHS video” on the Live Production Forum
Cheers

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look into an external tbc.

Moorlander

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi, I am a noob here as well.
Not sure if this will help but.......
I too have a Sony Handycam (TRV110E) and wanted to digitise my video files to pc. I looked at various options regarding the video capture and finally decided upon the use of Sony's own Play Memories Home software which captures the footage as an uncompressed AVI file. My connection was via firewire and it all worked quite smoothly as the software can actually be used to start and stop the camcorder. You can also capture the footage as one long stream or a series of clips (based on record points on tape).
In my case I captured all my footage onto a spare HDD and then processed those files through Handbrake to crop / tweak to get MP4 files of a more manageable size which I then used (using for editing).
The quality of the captured footage was to my eye equal to the tape. That said this is my first venture into this sort of thing, so I would advise you let your own eyes be the judge.

The thing I liked was that the capture was a like for like copy of the tape.

In order to capture from camcorder to MP4 direct I explored the use of Debut capture software which actually worked quite well and it is free for home use. That said I preferred my workflow as it has enabled me to retain the original AVI files that I have kept and archived should I ever need them.

Another option is to use VLC player which has an can capture video via (drop-down menu)
Media > open capture device > the rest is dependent on your system, connection etc. I have only experimented with this but it did seem to work and can capture direct to MP4 (as well as other codecs e.g h.264, h.265, VP80 etc).

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Using the FireWire connection to the camcorder used to record the tapes works quite well. When capturing DVCam tapes, I often use Forwire and it keeps everything in the “digital world” less conversion issues. You can import directly in to IMovie this way also.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started