Lost dongle

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dickmays

Lost dongle

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 12:35 pm

While transporting my editing box, it appears I may have lost my dongle.
What are my options for replacing it? Will I have to fork out $300?
I hope not. I registered my product code when doing updates.

dickmays

Re: Lost dongle

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Nevermind!! I found it!!!

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 8:02 pm

Usually with most vendors, losing a dongle requires that you purchase a new dongle/license to replace it, since there's no way to prove that you aren't just trying to rip them off by asking for a "replacement" dongle that you didn't actually lose. The dongle is effectively "the software", so it wouldn't be any different if you lost your iPhone and had to buy a whole new one.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 am

Yes, @Peter Chamberlain has said several times that you have to treat the Dongle or the license certificate as "cash," so unfortunately losing it is basically like losing a wad of dollar bills. The advantage of the license is that you can keep a copy of it as a photograph or type it out in a database or a list or something, so you can at least try a second install.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Dermot Shane

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 am

told this one before, but still...

around 2002 in Shanghai i had built a post / VFX facility, four Avid MC, Unity, two DS systems, a Flame, and a bunch of Combustion, Maya, SoftImage workstations

so we were moveing, took all the dongles (4xMC/2xDS/1xUnity/6xMaya/6xSoftImage) and put them in a lockbox in my assistant's desk drawer late in the evening after we boxed up every thing

came in late the next day and she mentioned that she was looking for a flash drive and could only find a box of broken usb sticks, so she threw them into the trash and had the runner go buy another one

that was around 1 million USD in the trash...

we dug, we found, we washed off the gak...

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 am

Dermot Shane wrote:told this one before, but still...

around 2002 in Shanghai i had built a post / VFX facility, four Avid MC, Unity, two DS systems, a Flame, and a bunch of Combustion, Maya, SoftImage workstations

so we were moveing, took all the dongles (4xMC/2xDS/1xUnity/6xMaya/6xSoftImage) and put them in a lockbox in my assistant's desk drawer late in the evening after we boxed up every thing

came in late the next day and she mentioned that she was looking for a flash drive and could only find a box of broken usb sticks, so she threw them into the trash and had the runner go buy another one

WAAAAAATTTTT????

That was painful to read...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 7:27 am

Dermot Shane wrote:came in late the next day and she mentioned that she was looking for a flash drive and could only find a box of broken usb sticks, so she threw them into the trash and had the runner go buy another one... that was around 1 million USD in the trash...

:o :o :o

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm

I am immune to any horror movie , while my wife flies to the cieling on the drop of a dime and scratches me up like Edward Scissorhand in the process) but this story scared the living daylights out of me and so understandable.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Asit Jain

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 7:09 am

Oops!
- Asit

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 1:07 am

That's the best dongle story I've heard in a long time.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Frank Engel

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:put them in a lockbox

It sounds like you should have locked the box.

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 pm

It was locked, but my assistant had the key to the box in her desk...

and she's the one that found them in the garbage bin shared by the hotpot downstairs

a somewhat strong smelling bin it was too, i still can remember the smell

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:43 am

Dermot Shane wrote:It was locked, but my assistant had the key to the box in her desk... and she's the one that found them in the garbage bin shared by the hotpot downstairs... a somewhat strong smelling bin it was too, i still can remember the smell

I think we should call you Dermot "Smelly Dongle" Shane from now on to commemorate the incident.

Return to DaVinci Resolve