Using the Micro Converter SDI to HDMI with Intensity Shuttle

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Petter Opsahlseter

Using the Micro Converter SDI to HDMI with Intensity Shuttle

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:10 pm

I want to capture uncompressed a load of digital betacam tapes using the HD SDI output from the digibeta deck. My computer use the thunderbolt intensity shuttle with HDMI input/output. I think it's the first thunderbolt version (old iMac). Would it be a good idea to use the Micro Converter together with the intensity shuttle to achieve this? My plan is:
- A SDI cable from the digibeta deck output into the micro converter SDI input
- Then a HDMI cable from the Micro converter HDMI output into the Intensity Shuttle input
- And finally the Intensity Shuttle thunderbolt cable into my computer and capture with the HDMI-signal using Media Express

Jack Fairley

Re: Using the Micro Converter SDI to HDMI with Intensity Shu

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:13 pm

If it's actually HD-SDI, it should convert fine. However, with old analog sources, you may need a time-base corrector to successfully digitize. Your deck could have one, or not. If you search on this forum there are a lot of threads about it.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Petter Opsahlseter

Re: Using the Micro Converter SDI to HDMI with Intensity Shu

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I think there are both digital betacam and digital HD betacam tapes. I will check if the deck has a TBC. I guess this plan doesn't involve sound capture at all. I should use the Audio to SDI from BMD perhaps. I think it has the AES/EBU output...

Return to Getting Started