Teranex 2D to Teranex AV now nothing works

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Dino Everett

Teranex 2D to Teranex AV now nothing works

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 10:15 pm

My Teranex 2D which I have used for the past 6 years finally quit on me the other day and I was forced to purchase the Teranex AV (since the 2D no longer seems to be sold) I hooked everything up essentially the way I had it before and now nothing - I mean nothing works.

My first question is since the Teranex 2D entered the mac via a Thunderbolt and the Teranex AV enters via USB is there some setting on the mac itself that needs to be changed to reflect this? Likewise will it work with the USB-C - USB 3.0 cable or do I need to make a USB-C - USB-C connection?

Here are the issues:

1 - I ran the USB-C cable into the computer and it recognizes that a teranex is plugged in (since it shows the image and says the software is up to date) but it does not give me any of the setup interface and when I click on the plus sign it says "no teranex found"

2 - My smart view scopes no longer turn on.

3 - I had 2 x SDI cables plugged in to perform SD - HD conversions and HD - HD digitizations. 1 of the SDI cables I used with a patch bay to digitize VHS/Betamax/Betacam/1 inch/ etc with the audio passing through RCA cables, and the other I used as a dual SDI for Digital Betacam and HDCam
- The cables plugged into both now pass nothing through them.....

I did manage to to plug into a Blackmagic Analog to SDI Mini Converter and this has allowed me to transfer VHS tapes only and nothing else......

Is there something obvious I am forgetting to do? I updated all of the software for all of my Blackmagic stuff Teranex/Smart View Duo / Desktop Video / Hyperdeck Studio

4 - Desktop Video Setup states NO Video Device is detected

Xtreemtec

Re: Teranex 2D to Teranex AV now nothing works

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 10:27 pm

1) The Teranex AV does NOT capture anymore. Only the older Teranex 2D and 3D had that option.
The USB on the Teranex AV is ONLY for FW updates!

2) Scopes also rely on the capture function of the Teranex 2D. So Wont work with the AV.

3) Teranex AV does SDI and HDMI only. No analog video like the Teranex 2D did.

4) Obvious because there is NO capture device..

The Teranex AV is build for live events. Doing up down cross conversions for live AV events.
It is not a capture box and it lacks a lot of features you had in the Teranex 2D.
Return the AV and get searching on a 2nd hand 2D. In our country one is offered for 500 euro.. And nobody wants it..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dino Everett

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks so much for the information....That kind of sucks....

What does Blackmagic think that all SD video has now been captured?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am

Oh no.. but they have far superior hardware now. The UltraStudio 4K Mini
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /W-DLUS-11

Which is Thunderbolt 3. Can capture SD to 4K.
The teranex 2D was limited to 1,5G capturing if i'm not mistaken. ( 1080i60 / 1080P30 max)

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started