New to capture devices: input/output question

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Arkhanno

New to capture devices: input/output question

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 3:48 am

Hi there. I'm new to capture devices. I haven't actually used one before, but I'm thinking about buying a Blackmagic Intensity Shuffle. I'm really into speed running but I don't have a CRT anymore. I want to get back into GCN/Wii gaming (and streaming it), but since it requires RCA connectors I am not able to play on my current monitor. (Acer GD235HZ, it has HDMI and DVI)

My question is can I input the RCA connectors into the Blackmagic device and output as HDMI to play on my monitor then use USB 3.0 to send the video to my computer or would I have to get a TV that could accept RCA?

I tried to use the search for the answer, but since this is a pretty specific question I couldn't find any results. Sorry if this has been asked before!

Richard Crowley

Re: New to capture devices: input/output question

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 9:01 am

Dunno what "speed running" is? Also not clear how you are using the term "streaming"?

Capture devices are designed to get video into a computer (for recording) and back out (for playback).

It sounds like what you are looking for is a simple analog to HDMI (standalone) converter. I would not think that any sort of capture device is what you are looking for. You certainly don't want to tie up a whole nuther computer just converting video (even if it perform that function, which is doubtful).

But analog to HDMI converters are rather common in the home theatre trade. There are many of them on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Arkhanno

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the converter. As for my question wasn't really worded the best. I'll word it differently: are the outputs specific to the input? By this I mean if I input RCA could I output HDMI without needing a converter? Needing a converter won't be an issue now that I know I can do that, but I'd rather not spend the extra money if I don't have to.

I'd be using the capture device to send the audio/video of the game to my computer as well as my main monitor so I can create a recording of what I'm playing, show others in real time what I'm doing, as well as see what I'm doing in a lag-free environment. (Or in other words: have video on my main monitor set to HDMI, while using the capture device to record what I'm doing on my PC as well as stream it for others to watch and comment on.) As far as I know it's the only way to stream it. (See twitch.tv for examples of streaming. As for speed running it's trying to complete a game in the fastest way possible. Check out SpeedDemosArchive for examples of speed runs.)

Richard Crowley

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 4:40 pm

if I input RCA could I output HDMI without needing a converter?

No way at all. By "RCA" we assume you mean composite or "component" ANALOG video signals. HDMI is a DIGITAL interface. You ALWAYS need something to convert old-school analog to modern digital.

Blackmagic Design makes products for professional use, and analog to HDMI is not even a product that they make. From my knowledge of the BMD product line, it doesn't appear that it is a very good fit for what you are trying to do: convert analog to HDMI, and record the video stream.

I suspect that in gaming circles there are discussions of what kind of equipment they use to record play action.

Andy Mees

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 am

It probably would work actually but not lag free.

Normally how these devices work is that the input signal (in your case that would be via your game center's Composite or Component RCA output connections) would pass into the I/O box and from there into the host computer via its host connection (in this case via USB3). The capture application, when active, would then also send a return (monitoring) signal at capture resolution/frame rate (if valid) back via the host connection (USB3) to the I/O device where it would then be active, usually on all available outputs ... so yes, probably HDMI too as long as the return signal is valid for monitoring via HDMI.

But as described, the signal has been on a journey by the time it hits the HDMI out so it probably wouldn't be lag free.

As Richard suggests, head over to the gaming forums. What you're wanting to do is pretty common practice I believe (essentially recording game footage during game play) so folks will have better advice for you there on specifically what setup will work best.

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to Getting Started