Switching from Ursa Mini 4.6k to BPCC 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

maverick88

Switching from Ursa Mini 4.6k to BPCC 4K

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:56 am

Hey everyone,

I'm selling my Ursa Mini 4.6k gear and want to switch to Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K since it now has the anamorphic mode.

Trying to figure out which accessories to retain and which to sell.

I've built the Mini 4.6k with a V-Lock plate, V-lock batteries and SSD adaptor. Am I be able to use any of these for the BPCC 4K?

So far it's just the SSDs that I've decided to keep.

JoshMallett

Re: Switching from Ursa Mini 4.6k to BPCC 4K

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 3:50 am

I own both, and...

BAD WAY TO GO.

You're gonna have a hard time finding support from anyone on this site siding with you on this decision.

Makes zero sense. URSA is the better A cam, pocket cam serves as a good B cam...

Help us all please understand why you're downgrading??
My video work: https://www.JoshuaMallett.com

Fabián Aguirre

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 5:03 am

I owned both, and eventually sold the UM46K and now shoot with two fully kitted Pockets 4K.

Is the Ursa Mini 4.6K a better camera? Mostly, yes, but it depends, and that's almost always the correct answer. As a documentary filmmaker, the UM46K's higher dynamic range and overall image texture (not sure how else to describe it) makes it an ideal camera for me and, for a few years, it was. Except when I was shooting in low light, which began to happen a lot, in which cases the UM46K stayed in the pelican and the pocket came to the rescue.

For me, the BMPCC4Ks offer much more versatility-- I can use them in a minimal set up for situations that call for that, or build them up to full cinema kits. These days, one is nearly permanently attached to my Steadicam in a light configuration for flying all day (powered via a single V-mount battery on the sled). The other camera is on monopod or tripod sporting a heavy zoom lens for details. More importantly, the dual ISO has afforded me the possibility of shooting in situations where it would have been impossible with the UM46K.

Do I still miss the image from the Ursa Mini? Of course. Just yesterday, I was grading a project I started with the Ursa Mini and finished mostly with the pockets, and there is something really special about the UM. Except, of course, when I'm battling FPN because I'm filming a concert and I have very little control over the stage lighting.

So, again, it depends, and that's the beauty of this discipline-- it's different for everyone.

Another thing to contemplate is Blackmagic Raw-- if you're interested in moving on to more modern and robust workflows and you can't simply add a pocket 4K to your existing kit, alongside the UM, then the BMPCC4K is a fantastic way to enter the world of Braw.

Here's hoping BMD can release an Ursa Mini with dual ISO in 2020 (I could care less whether it's 4.6, or 6 or 8K). That would really dismantle most of the arguments I made above and make it a better choice over the pocket (except for weight and price).
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 6:16 pm

I’m keeping both. At times you miss the dynamic range of 4.6K but the versatility and lighter weight in part because of lighter rigging, makes the BMPCC4K much easier to move about. I’m using it tonight on my current shoot this week, but may bring the 4.6K to the Thursday shoot. BRAW Q0 or Q5. Will stay with ISO 400 but good to have the option to go to the next level if needed. It’s important to be mindful of low lit areas with both cameras. And I’m facing those this week once again.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography