Analog to SDI Mini-Converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Kevin Mahy

Analog to SDI Mini-Converter

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi

I need to get from analog PAL to HD-SDI with my Analog to SDi Mini-Converter. How do I set it up for this? No amount of looking at the utility software or jiggling of dip-switches seems to do anything.

It'll output SD-SDI fine, However it's HD-SDI I need.

Thanks.

Kevin

Andy Mees

Re: Analog to SDI Mini-Converter

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Hey Kevin
Unless the Analog to SDI Mini Converter also does Up Conversion (which I'm not seeing anywhere in the specs) then if you want to go from SD (PAL) to HD you'll also need to add an up-converter like the UpDownCross unit.
Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 4:11 am

Hello Kevin,

Sorry for the confusion. Andy is correct. The Analog to SDI Mini Converter will not do upconversion.

SD in will be SD out. HD component in will be HD SDI out. If you want upconverted HD, you would need an additional UpDownCross Mini Converter to do this.

Otherwise, our Teranex products (released shortly) can also do this upconversion.
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Kevin Mahy

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks for the responses. I figured out the SD-in SD-out thing shortly afterwards. I guess I was a bit optimistic to expect to get more out than I put in. Going component gave me my HD, and it was good.

It's just a shame the BMD product page doesn't make this limitation clearer, the blurb and diagram don't seem to mention it. It's significantly reduced the range of the camera stock I can use with it to give me the HD-SDI I need to input a fly-away kit.

BMD Mini-Converters Product Blurb wrote:Perfect for converting from analog HD/SD component, NTSC, PAL or S-Video to SDI out with balanced jack AES/EBU and analog audio embedding. Now you can convert analog devices such as Betacam SP, VHS, set top boxes, gaming consoles and HDV cameras to incredible quality SD/HD-SDI video.

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am

I would like a new firmware, which allows to upscale SD-input to HD (enough memory must be present). But I think, hardware limitations let this be impossible.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 pm

You could use a Teranex 2D, but its significantly more outlay. But it also has more flexibility.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

AlexLOGIC

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 pm

What about edited betacam sp masters with two tracks of audio? I don't necessarily have an online editing set up at the moment, but do have finished betacam sp edit masters I would like to convert to 720p 16 x 9.

Which of your boxes would I go through, and what would I need on a Mac that is simple for uploading purposes.
My goal is to not have the color, image, or audio quality altered, simply mirrored since all of that was done at the time of the editing.

Kevin Mahy

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:You could use a Teranex 2D, but its significantly more outlay. But it also has more flexibility.

Thanks for the suggestion but the Teranex would be unsuitable for the purpose. The converter was for a selection of SD cameras for a small OB kit. I had hoped to send the signal SDI. In the end we are powering the MiniConverter locally and are just limited to using HD Cameras with component out. Looks nice though.

Return to Getting Started