deck link playback

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Brian Hancock

deck link playback

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 2:10 am

hey guys so i have a question about how the deck link cards handle video specifically on playback ... i have read the manual but nothing specifically addresses my question that i saw on a quick look.

while using media express does the card automatically scale the video file being played to the selected output ie if i have a sd video will it give me a 720 output ?? or vise versa i have output set to sd 16:9 will it down convert a 1080 file??

what are you guys experience with this do things seem to work better if files are all converted to the same file type size frame rate etc etc etc ...

thanks in advance fyi i don't own a deck link card just looking heavy at getting one ... and wanted to do my research in advance ...

Brian Hancock

Re: deck link playback

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 1:46 pm

bueller .....

Richard Courtney

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 1:50 pm

If I remember correctly, the Media Express will adjust its output to match the source file but that will make
the ATEM not see any input, just a black screen. So we capture, edit with NLE software (Sony Vegas Pro),
and playout at the format of our ATEM. 720P 59.94 in our case.

Capture is YUV 4:2:2 if I remember correctly.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 6:06 pm

The playback will be output at it's native format unless the device you are using has a down converter in it. In which case it can be set to down convert the signal. Media Express specifically does not have any inherent conversion ability.

However you could use an application like Premiere or FCP and set the output to your desired format, then use the clips at different resolutions in that sequence. This will allow the app to scale them. It might require rendering depending on your rigs power.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Brian Hancock

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 3:25 pm

thanks josh thats what i thought just wanted to confirm !!

Return to Getting Started