Recording SDI /HDMI signal from 4 cameras

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mirek99

Recording SDI /HDMI signal from 4 cameras

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 am

I have 2 Sony EX3 cameras, 1 Canon XHG1s camera and 1 Panasonic DSR-PD1000AP. I need to be able to capture their SDI/ or HDMI outputs.
My intention is to purchase the following equipment:
4x BlackMagic UltraStudio Express boxes, connect SDI feed from the cameras, and connect each box to MacMini (I have access to 4 of them - current 2011 models). Also I want to send the SDI out from UltraStudio to ATEM Television studio to do live switching and project the final mix to projectors via HDMI Program out. The video mix would also be recorded to another iMAC via USB2 output.
That would give me 4 seperate uncompressed camera streams recorded for further manipulations offline , as well as final mix as H264.
Can anyone can see a better way of doing this?

Neil Roberts

Re: Recording SDI /HDMI signal from 4 cameras

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 am

I would take a look at the Hyperdeck studio Pro

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... eckstudio/

Record all four cameras to SSD and pass through to your Television studio.

Neater than 4 Mac Minis :-)

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Neil Roberts wrote:I would take a look at the Hyperdeck studio Pro. Record all four cameras to SSD and pass through to your Television studio. Neater than 4 Mac Minis :-)

As mentioned on other threads/topics (confirmed by Black Magic) the Hyperdeck Studio Pro does not allow you to record four streams of SDI (from different cameras) simultaneously

Sarah Jones wrote:The HyperDeck Studio Pro's 4 HD-SDI inputs only support a single video stream up to 4K resolution. So multi-stream recording is not supported at this time. I hope this clears things up.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Mirek99

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 pm

I was seriously looking at Hyperdeck Pro as well, but until 4 streams recording is implemented, it's not really an option. Any idea on the timetable for release of that option?

Richard Crowley

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 1:08 am

Huh? Nobody is seriously suggesting that a Hyperdeck will record more than one video stream at once!

But using four HyperDeck Studio recorders (one for each camera) is essentially the same cost and is FAR LESS fiddly and unreliable vs. four UltraStudio Express boxes plus four computers (of ANY kind). Not to mention the computer screens, keyboard, mouse, etc. etc. :o

I suspect MANY HyperDeck recorders are being used for camera iso recorders.

Andy Mees

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 1:29 am

For simultaneous multichannel record you'd want to be looking at a Decklink Quad:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklinkquad/

Would that work in an external ThB expansion chassis hosted by a lowly MacMini ... no idea. Beyond that you'd be having to look for ingest software for your MacMini that could handle 4 channels of simultaneous capture.

Separate ISO disk recorders certainly seems like the simpler option.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Richard Courtney

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm

As Andy recommended the Quad has four channels and will loop the output to your ATEM.
Paired with proper software using the SDK and RAID drives you can record the four cameras. I have only
tried 720P.

The rackmount pro mentioned is perhaps your fastest route and it does have a monitor and easy controls.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 4:23 pm

rcourtney wrote:The rackmount pro mentioned is perhaps your fastest route and it does have a monitor and easy controls.

rcourtney... are you saying the Hyperdeck Studio Pro can record the four SDI inputs (from different cameras) simultaneously to it's SSD's?

Richard Courtney

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:
rcourtney wrote:The rackmount pro mentioned is perhaps your fastest route and it does have a monitor and easy controls.

rcourtney... are you saying the Hyperdeck Studio Pro can record the four SDI inputs (from different cameras) simultaneously to it's SSD's?

No the Decklink Quad card can. Right now you need 4 Hyperdecks, one per camera.

The 4k is for next generation HD that is expected to become theater standard.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Got it. I didn't know if you were back to saying just one would do the job. Thanks for clearing that up (for me). 4 x Hyperdecks does seem to still provide a reasonably price-point - in a reliable format.

Return to Getting Started