4K mini converter questions

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Raphaël Jacquot

4K mini converter questions

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 7:46 am

Would it be possible to use the mini-converter sdi multiplex 4K and the mini-converter optical fiber 4K to carry 4 camera signals over a single fiber from point A to point B ?

Brian Hancock

Re: 4K mini converter questions

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 pm

i would think if all the sources were genlocked and the same flavor it would work not sure about this ... I'd love to know this answer!!!

also i'd really like to know if they intend to come out with a opengear card version of this converter as well ... big reason we went opengear is to allow constant upgrade and not have to rebuild the entire racks ... i hate having to rackmount the stupid little mini-converters and have to find somewhere for the wall warts !!

Brian Hancock

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 11:49 pm

ahhh after a little further research ... ie reading the tech specs page because many times their info leaves something to be desired, at best! ... (a real issue i have even though i think their products are great) ... i see no way to demux the 4k steam into 4, 4x1.5 gb/s streams or 2x 3gb/s what have you ...

so in theory yes i think but in practice not yet ... but this would be a great thing and i'm sure something some company could put together eventually hmmmm ??

Raphaël Jacquot

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm

it appears the 4k mux is also able to demux...

Brian Hancock

PostTue Sep 17, 2013 12:49 am

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:it appears the 4k mux is also able to demux...

it does appear to provide that capability via the connections diagram and dip switch settings ... although on the tech specs page it says output -- and lists 4k 6g-sdi only ??? ... the press release claims to and from multiplex so i guess i have to assume it can ??

again back to my original point about blackmagic ... your stuff is great but professionals have a hard time depending upon many of your products because "in theory" something will so what it says then find in reality that function may or may not be available via a firmware update sometime in the next 2 to 24 months ... ??

ok so off my soap box ... in theory if all your sources are timed the same then this should work ?!?

4x 1.5gb/s sdi --> mux --> fiber converter -->fiber-->fiber converter --> mux --> 4x1.5gb/s sdi

if this is the case its makes for a very very powerful setup !!!

Brian Hancock

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 am

bump ...

bmd any response ??

Hersh Burston

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 4:37 am

Hi Raphael,

All four sources would need to have the same format and clock. We haven't tried it but having four genlocked cameras at point A would be required. I assume these would all be 1.5Gb/sec signals going into the multiplex. The single link 6Gb/s output would be fed to the Optical Fiber 4K which is sent to point B. At B you will require another Optical Fiber 4K and SDI Multiplex 4K.

Unfortunately these are not shipping yet but should be ready within 6 weeks. The Optical Fiber 4K could drag on as there is no quick reliable source of 6Gb/s SFPs.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Brian Hancock

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Hersh Burston wrote:Hi Raphael,

All four sources would need to have the same format and clock. We haven't tried it but having four genlocked cameras at point A would be required. I assume these would all be 1.5Gb/sec signals going into the multiplex. The single link 6Gb/s output would be fed to the Optical Fiber 4K which is sent to point B. At B you will require another Optical Fiber 4K and SDI Multiplex 4K.

Unfortunately these are not shipping yet but should be ready within 6 weeks. The Optical Fiber 4K could drag on as there is no quick reliable source of 6Gb/s SFPs.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

great thanks any hope that once these come on line this is tested i'd prefer not to have to buy all the parts just to see if it works ??

Also any hope to come out with open gear cards for the 4k line ??

Return to Getting Started