Pocket Ultrascope & USB3.0

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Alan Yates

Pocket Ultrascope & USB3.0

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 am

Morning,
Can anyone tell me if the Pocket Ultrascope is compatible with the Etron USB 3.0 Controller or does my desktop need the NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 for Pocket Ultrascope to work?

Many Thanks

Zeref

Re: Pocket Ultrascope & USB3.0

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:38 am

You need NEC/renesas USB 3.0
I have Etron on my desktop doesn't pick up the signal

Alan Yates

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks Zeref,
Windows Device Manager tells me the Pocket Ultrascope is working fine, but when I start Ultrascope software it either reports there is no ultrascope detected or puts the display to black/out of range.

Has anyone else been able to get Pocket Ultrascope to work with Non NEC USb 3.0?
Can anyone from BMD confirm it has to be NEC/Renesas USB 3.0?

Thanks for any advice given.
Alan

moroheiya

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

TI chip works great.

Alan Yates

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks moroheiya.
Again, just wondered if anyone at BMD can confirm the pocket ultrascope will/wont work with the Etron USB 3.0 chipset on my desktop.

Any advice BMD?

Thanks

Hersh Burston

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 12:13 am

Hi Alan,

Pocket UltraScope will only work with the NEC Renesas USB 3.0 driver.

The following link provides more information - http://blackmagicdesign.com/support/det ... 037&os=win

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

DVCPRO50

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Hersh I read this

Article Blackmagic Design has announced Pocket UltraScope, the world's first portable USB 3.0 notebook PC based waveform monitor with 6 independent powerful real time scopes such as parade, waveform, vector, histogram, audio and picture for only US$595.

Pocket UltraScope will be demonstrated on the Blackmagic Design NAB 2010 booth at #SL 6020.

Pocket UltraScope is a small pod with a 3 Gb/s SDI input that connects to any USB 3.0 computer for professional waveform monitoring. When running on a notebook or desktop PC with a 1920 x 1080 display, Pocket UltraScope allows simultaneous display of 6 waveform views including: RGB/YUV parade display, composite waveform, vector, histogram, 8 channel audio meters, stereo audio scope and picture view. When used with smaller screens, Pocket UltraScope allows a smaller 2 view window to be selected.

Pocket UltraScope automatically detects the input video format, and switches between SD, HD and 3 Gb/s 1080p SDI formats. Blackmagic UltraScope is technically accurate, which is perfect for master monitoring and quality control tasks.

When running on-set, behind racks, or in other difficult locations, Pocket UltraScope is the ideal solution for portable waveform monitoring, because it easily plugs into notebook computers and powers from the notebook computer battery via the USB 3.0 connection. Pocket UltraScope is small and accurate, and makes a perfect portable solution for post production and broadcast facilities.

"Ever since we introduced UltraScope at last years NAB, I have wanted to do a portable version. Now with USB 3.0 the technology has caught up to allow us to be able to do it! ", said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design, "I think this is a revolutionary product, as now broadcasters and post production facilities have a truly portable waveform monitoring solution that's accurate and affordable!"

Misleading to say the least, This units portability is diminished by the Boat Anchor of a Desk top PC required to run it. Then again That is if you can find one that has the various cards in it that will talk to your box. In an industry where most everyone works with MAC's having drivers that will run on a Mac platform would be a no brainer especially as this product has been out for 2 years!

Return to Getting Started