HyperDeck Shuttle 2

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Pete McWade

HyperDeck Shuttle 2

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 10:25 pm

I have been having some very good results with my Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 and my Canon T3i and my iPhone. I have Magic Lantern installed on my Canon so I can turn off the overlays. But to get the overlays to actually not be on the recording you must also connect your Shuttle to an external monitor. Even with that it glitches sometimes and you would need to shut it all down then turn it all back on and all will be good. Without the external monitor connected to the shuttle you will have overlays record and ruin your recording. If you don't have Magic Lantern installed and overlays turned off when idle the focus box will always record. All of the sensor gets recorded so you don't have the 16:9 ratio window for wide screen. You need to actually crop your recording to 16:9 ratio if you want that. Otherwise the whole sensor size is recorded. Quality Glass is important. My Canon 18 55mm lens that came with the camera is not quality glass but will be OK. I have an old Super Takumar 55mm 1:1.8 F prime lens and yes, this is a coated lens. The quality is much better than the Canon Lens that came with the camera. I have some other lenses but I like the Takumar the best. I am hoping to get some video up on youtube soon. I will be putting up full HD. I have my Shuttle recording in ProRes HD because it is native to Final Cut Pro and I can process huge files fast in ProRes HD. Then when I have that done I just share it from Quicktime and put it in a format that anyone can use but will be much smaller but still full HD and still excellent quality. I have done this so I can record nice quality and have it in native format for Final Cut Pro X. The standard format from the Canon camera is very slow to process even when I format the output to the same codex.

I like the setup but need a small but high quality field monitor and external battery before I venture out in the field. Until then I am stuck in the studio. Bummer. Right now I am using my 42" HD TV as a field monitor. Ack!

I'll post up some video soon. :)

Pete McWade

Re: HyperDeck Shuttle 2

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 5:16 am

Rendering video right now. Because the video has a H.264 codec clip included the render time is going to take like forever. If it was just straight ProRes HD it would be done processing by now. I did not notice much difference in either clip color wise. I did no color correcting. I recorded the first clip with the Canon Codec H.264 and the second clip was recorded directly through the Hyperdeck Shuttle with the ProRes HD codec. I like the color better with the ProRes HD recording but frankly there is very little difference. Audio was with my iPhone head set microphone using a custom microphone app on the phone. I will do some audio differences in another video later but I can assure you the microphone on the iPhone head phones is pretty darn good quality. I have tested other microphones and for such a dinky mic it is top notch. Nothing like an Apple mic. I do have a large Studio microphone but I must use my computer to record from and that was not what I wanted. I need sound I can take to the field. So the little mic will work. I hot glued it to a micro sized clothes pin and then just clip it to my undershirt and hide it under a button up shirt.

I did have to crop the hyperdeck video clip to match the 16:9 ratio from the Canon clip. Actually, pretty easy to do.

Pete :)

Pete McWade

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Got my video up.

The video was not manipulated at all.

Super Takumar 55/1:1.8 Manual Prime Lens.
Canon T3i with Magic Lantern installed so I can turn off any overlays so they don't record with the Hyperdeck.

Pete McWade

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 5:24 am

Tried this evening to set up my hyperdeck shuttle 2 to record in raw. When I connected it all up and turned on the camera and my HD TV monitor the monitor would not accept the input even before I started the recording. So I naturally thought the issue was with the camera or HyperDeck box but after exhausting all avenues I reset the box to record in Apple ProRes 422HQ and guess what. It all worked again like magic. Mmmmm. Blackmagic. :)

Any clue as to why the viewing monitor would not work when it was set to record in RAW? This one is a bit baffling.

So I did another video using a different lens. 28 mm and f2. So not so fast but still good. Allowed a closer setup in my small office. iso was at 200 an my aperture was set to show a good view. Time to go play with that video. Going to try a bit of color corrections. Should not need much.

Pete

Pete McWade

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 5:26 am

It is kinda boring to talk to myself. No comments? Interesting. Figured someone might be interested. Yes, I am using a Canon T3i. Oh yeah, you gotta have magic lantern installed as you need to turn off the overlays.

Pete McWade

PostSun Oct 06, 2013 6:51 am

Video is posting on youtube and I will post the link later. I am still recording in ProRes 422HQ and I found I have no FPS control on the recording. Not a good deal. I am also experiencing another issue. That is some serious interlacing. I should not be getting that at all with all the information I am recording. Either the camera is causing the issue or the hyperdeck is causing the issue.

Anyone have any information on issues with interlacing while using the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2?

I noticed that if I played the rendered version for youtube on VLC with deinterlace off the video plays back cleanly. I want it to play back cleanly on all formats including the web. I need a way to turn it off in post processing.

Any ideas?

If you have VLC just copy the video and play it back with that and turn deinterlace on.

Pete McWade

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 4:16 am

Well I made some headway tonight. I tried again to record in uncompressed 10bit Quicktime. Again the monitor would not come on when I had everything set to record. With it set for Prores I could view my monitor at any time before and during the recording. But in the uncompressed setting the monitor will not come on with that setting. But I did something I did not do before. I decided to just start the recording anyway. What do you know. The monitor came to life. Odd but it works once I start recording. However, I still have that interlacing problem with the video. Looks like crap. Is that just an issue with the slower processor in the macbook. I am only doing short video runs so the files are not more than like 12gig in size in uncompressed format. I then rendered it to quicktime 1080p and the file was less than a gig. Still shows the interlacing issue. Looks like Im looking through a venetian blind thats partly opened.

It is good that I can at least video clean uncompressed 10bit quicktime.

Pete McWade

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Well I rendered a 12 gig clip down to 128mb and got no interlacing issues. All the other renders above 128mb had interlacing issues. ?

When I video straight from my camera and render them out in full 1080p I get no interlacing issues.

Thoughts?

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Oct 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Have you run the included DISKSPEED test to find out if your system is capable of playback of an uncompressed 10 bit file? The actual file size is irrelevant... it's how much data per second that is crucial to the ability of your system to playout the file while editing.

Also rendering "down to 128Mb" is also irrelevant. That' really just a factor of the bit-rate you are using. If you encode (render) an HD file with a low-enough bit-rate you can get any file size you want.. however you will find the quality will be insufficient to avoid artifacts. So.. what were the encode settings you used (we're talking the BIT Rate) that resulted in that 128Mb file?

Oh... and one more thing... just checking that you do understand the T3i always outputs a 1080i signal over HDMI irrespective of the internal camera recording format.
Last edited by Liam Kennedy on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Pete McWade

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Oh... and one more thing... just checking that you do understand the T3i always outputs a 1080i signal over HDMI irrespective of the internal camera recording format.

Thinks for this information. Not what I want but I am working with it.

The issue is after the video is processed. I have processed to 1080 Apple devices H264 with RAW and still got interlacing. What is most interesting is that I can not see any interlacing on the video while working in FCPX but if I output to Prores422HQ I get interlacing and the same with outputting to the same as what I captured. Uncompressed 10bit Quicktime. I have found that the camera does affect the output of the video. I have magic lantern installed to remove overlays. I did some other tweeks in magic lantern and got a clean output when I outputted in 1080 for apple devices and H264 output.

Time to play some more. I am going to just capture in Prores 422HQ because the original files are soooo much smaller than the uncompressed. Most video is going on the web and Apple TV and computers.

I have been getting lots of good feedback from Blackmagic so I thank you all for the input in this matter to wrangle the best I can from my Canon T3i.

Question. Do other cameras output different than 1080i through an HDMI cable?

jjonatass

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi guys,
I recently had a problem with my link HyperDeck Shuttle 2
heated up so much that he hung up while filming, was already in 1h20min recording. Battery was not because I had a battery charging him.
I've recorded with him several times and it never happened, I lost some files and recovered one.
I wonder if this is common?

Tks
Link HyperDeck Shuttle 2
240 intel ssd 520 series

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm

onegreenev wrote:Question. Do other cameras output different than 1080i through an HDMI cable?

Yes. High end professional cameras can output the <real> video format to either HDMI or SDI. For some reason... DSLR's just don't do it. You also get the same problem with cheap / consumer camcorder types. Not that I am suggesting DSLR's are not professional devices (like the Canon 5D MK III).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Pete McWade

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 9:37 pm

From what I know there would be no real reason to need the hyperdeck shuttle if you had like a Blackmagic Cinema camera because it also records to ssd and outputs native RAW. Im using it to get more from the lesser quality cameras. Im getting around a few issues. Its not a total loss. I do plan on getting a much better camera but I would really like to have not only video but also top quality images as well. I don't really want to pull out clips from video.

I was also thinking of the Pocket Cinema which can't record directly to SSD but with the Hyperdeck it can. That may work best. I'll keep my DSLR for shooting stills.

Return to Getting Started