UltraStudio 4K : installation challenges

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Paul Murray

UltraStudio 4K : installation challenges

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 10:54 am

UltraStudio 4K

System:

I am on a 2Ghz Intel Core i7 with 4GB Ram
I have updated to OSX 10.8.5
Also did an update for the graphics card (NVIDIA graphic card CUDA) Driver Version: 5.5.28

I am not sure of where I see what version of the Blackmagic design drivers but I downloaded them from the Site and I was not prompted to do an update. So I am pretty sure that they are bang up to date.

I am really confused as nothing really makes sense as of now!

Plan A:

Get a HDMI signal from a device to an external monitor via UltraStudio 4K

I have a Nokia N8 that has a HDMI out. I can connect this to a monitor. i.e. HDMI to DVI and I get a signal. I then connect the same phone to the HDMI input of the UltraStudio 4K. And would have thought that I could get a live feed. In the System preferences: Set input is set to HDMI & HDMI Audio. No sign of anything turning up on the UltraStudio 4K screen. No sign of anything showing up on the external monitor that I have connected to the HDMI out from the UltraStudio 4K. In the Blackmagic Design preferences I have the following set:

Set Output: All Outputs Active
Set Input: HDMI Video & HDMI Audio

With respect to Video setup. I find this somewhat confusing!
I am in Europe but the my phone shoots at 30 fps!!!
Further I have a second device. A laptop which has a HDMI out so I could also use this for testing purposes, at some point.
But like how many frames is that going to have!?!?!

Changing the following setting does not seem to have an effect.

eg At 7.5 IRE or 0.0 IRE etc

Plan B:

Open FCPX and try and get a signal out of it and to the external monitor!

I have FCPX (version 10.0.9) running. It sends a signal via Thunderbolt to the UltraStudio 4K. I see the signal on the little monitor on the UltraStudio 4k. I have 2 timelines one with 24 frames and one with 29.97 frames both of which show on the UltraStudio 4K display. So it would seem reasonable to assume that the signal is going from the computer to the UltraStudio 4K. When I open the import window I see no import device. i.e. no UltraStudio 4K.

Plan C:

Open Blackmagic Media Express and try and get a signal out of it and to the external monitor!

Now when I open Blackmagic Media Express I get the following error message.

"Blackmagic hardware could not be found in your system. Please check the installation."

When I look in system Information under Thunderbolt I get the following:

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: MacBook Pro
UID: 0x0001000A1CB1FFE0
Firmware Version: 22.1
Port:
Link Status: 0x2 / 0x0
Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3
Cable Firmware Version: 1.0.16
Cable Serial Number: C4M304603LJF797A3

UltraStudio 4K:

Vendor Name: Blackmagic Design
Device Name: UltraStudio 4K
Vendor ID: 0x4
Device ID: 0xA12D
Device Revision: 0x1
UID: 0x00040000002009D0
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 9.1
Port:
Link Status: 0x2
Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.0.7
Cable Firmware Version: 1.0.16
Cable Serial Number: C4M304603LJF797A3

Which seems to indicate that it is there!

What is a little weird though. When i go to the Blackmagic Design system preferences and change something like:

Set input the lights on the device do not change.

i.e. I change from HDMI input to SDI input and the light on the Blackmagic device does not change from HDMI to SDI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Paul

ps now "Back Magic Media Express" and when i import a 1080p test clip with default video standard set to 1080p I get a scrambled signal! FCPX which previously sent out a test signal now returns a blank screen!!!

Chad

Re: UltraStudio 4K : installation challenges

PostFri Oct 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Like all of Blackmagic's capture devices, the UltraStudio 4K does not act as a passthrough for whatever you plug into an input. It will only output a signal if you are actively running a compatible software application like Media Express or Final Cut.

Paul Murray

Re: UltraStudio 4K : installation challenges

PostSat Oct 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Chad. So this means Plan A will not work. (Not a deal breaker.) But I am still none the wiser why Plan B & C are not working! Any ideas about B & C???

Return to Getting Started