Capturing N64 with Intensity Pro: Possible?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

SadPanda

Capturing N64 with Intensity Pro: Possible?

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 4:11 am

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to capture input from my N64 console using the Intensity Pro. I'm currently using composite + RCA for input. I can normally receive audio with no issues, but video does not come through. I have the same (unresolved) problem mentioned in forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4522.

If I have OBS / VirtualDub / Blackmagic Media Express running and capturing (they all behave the same), with only the left and right audio cables plugged in, and then plug in the video cable, the video input flashes on the screen for less than a second. During this time, the video seems clear and has the correct colors. While the video is on the screen, the audio comes through. As soon as the video cuts out, the audio stops most of the time, but sometimes it will continue playing while the video goes black. If I unplug and replug the video cable, I can repeat this process. When the video appears, it is often "wrapped" vertically on the screen.

Here's an example capture from OBS: temp-share.com/show/2gFbcQq68
(I am currently unable to post links but I believe that the video above is extremely helpful to understand exactly what I mean)

In the above sample, I plug in the video cable, the video cuts out, and then I unplug and replug it multiple times. Hopefully this gives a better sense of what happens than my description.

VirtualDub reports that the video signal coming from the Intensity Pro is 720x486, which is quite odd. The video recorded by OBS above was recording to the top left of a 800x600 render target, so only the top left of the video is the actual signal from the Intensity Pro.

Settings in the control panel:

I've also seen many others with similar issues, but some of these might be outdated. Surely there must be some configuration that allows successful capture of the data since at least some video can be seen?

• forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3683&p=22580
  • ttvgamersunited.forumotion.com/t142-streaming-n64-with-blackmagic-why-you-no-work
  • forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/877793

Is it currently possible to record an N64 with just the Intensity Pro?

Adam Simmons

Re: Capturing N64 with Intensity Pro: Possible?

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 6:04 am

I think the main problem is that for most games the N64 doesn't output a standard PAL or NTSC signal, from what I've read it's usually 240/288P which the Intensity doesn't support.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Brad Riley

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 am

SadPanda

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Is there a cheap way to get this working with additional hardware, or do I have to spend the money to get a more capable capture card?

Return to Getting Started