Multiple user access to recordings

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jason@stirpe

Multiple user access to recordings

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Say i have 5 classrooms, each have either a USB or an SDI input plate on the wall for a portable camera (usb or sdi) and i would like all 5 camera plates goto a single recording device to capture a presentation.

I also have 5 breakout rooms each consisting of an LCD display whos signal comes from a large video switcher (or another suggested device) located in an it closet.

I would need the end user who was just recorded in 1 of the 5 classrooms access their presentation in any of the breakout rooms.

Is this possible with black magic?

Thanks
Jay

Richard Crowley

Re: Multiple user access to recordings

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 3:15 am

Are you hoping to put video through USB connections in the classrooms? How exactly?
SDI would be much more reasonable, but perhaps overkill for the application?

Not clear whether you are talking about recording one program at a time or more than one?
It would seem practical if all your classroom feeds went through this video switcher.
Connecting five sources to one recording device concurrently is not possible with any equipment.

With the right system design (including some computers for control), it seems possible to do.
Broadcast-quality BMD equipment may be over-kill for such an application, however.
A simple camcorder or two would do the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

Return to Getting Started