BMPCC Lens Does Not Auto Retract - HELP!

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jeremy Crocker

BMPCC Lens Does Not Auto Retract - HELP!

PostTue Nov 05, 2013 2:27 am

I have a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm and I checked for a firmware update with the lens plugged in. Now the lens does not auto retract. When I turn the camera on the lens retracts then opens but nothing when I shut it off.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: BMPCC Lens Does Not Auto Retract - HELP!

PostTue Nov 05, 2013 4:56 pm

The Panasonic lens have a firmware update that requires a Panasonic camera to update it. This feature is something set up by the company themselves.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

fabietto_91

PostTue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Jeremy Crocker wrote:I have a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm and I checked for a firmware update with the lens plugged in. Now the lens does not auto retract. When I turn the camera on the lens retracts then opens but nothing when I shut it off.

Any help would be appreciated!

mine does the same... firmware lens update doesn't help... :(

Jeremy Crocker

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 8:10 am

This used to work and now does not since I plugged my camera w/Lens into the computer. Please Fix!!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Ok first suggestion that seemed to slip past here is that you need to get your hands on a Panasonic camera and try to update the firmware for the lens that way. Maybe ask a shop and see if they're willing to help you out.

If that doesn't solve the issue, contact Panasonic directly and see what they suggest you do. Maybe they can direct you towards a firmware flash to an older revision.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Jeremy Crocker

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 8:15 pm

The issue is not the Lens as it performs normally in any other camera. It also has the latest firmware. Any Lens I use that has a auto retract feature does not work any more.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Have you tried reinstalling the current firmware without a lens attached? It's possible you can overwrite the update with the same update. I would suggest that if you haven't tried it already. Let me know if that resolves the issue.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Jeremy Crocker

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:19 am

Just updated firmware and no luck....

markr041

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 3:52 am

@ T. Rivera: Let ME be clear what the issue is, as I am having the same problem: when you turn on the BMPCC, the 14-42 Vario X lens, listed as compatible on the BM web site, extends (fine). When you turn off the camera, the lens does not retract. This is not fine.

This is NOT a firmware upgrade issue. Leaving the lens in a permanently extended state risks damaging the lens. This is a serious issue that is specific to the BMPCC/lens interaction.

Again, BM lists this lens as compatible with the BMPCC, which is why I purchased it. Thus, BM has this lens and can also check whether this is a problem. If it is, then the posting that the lens is "compatible" is misleading. But maybe there is a fix. The firmware updates for this lens on the Panasonic site have nothing to do with lens retraction and extension.

And, yes, the lens extends and retracts normally on my GH3. It does not on the BMPCC. The lens is not defective.
Mark Rosenzweig

Jeremy Crocker

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 7:59 am

What he said

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 5:47 pm

I already reported that issue to Blackmagic a while ago and am waiting for some parts to look into the SDI communication with that specific lens.
My guess is that the camera simply doesn't send the shutdown command.

LukeM

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 1:43 am

Hi Guys

Has this been resolved?
I have Just got a BMPCC with Firmware 1.5 and My lens is not Retracting the lens is a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (with stabilisation.)
I know the stabilisation is not supported but the Lens doesn't retract.
I have taken the lens back to my dealer and have it updated and checked out the lens will retract fine on a Panasonic camera.
It only on the BMPCC it doesn't not.

I made sure the firmware for the camera is updated and still has had no effect?

Will BM be looking into fixing this

Could your website be changed to say lens is support but will not retract?

My BM dealer didn't know of this problem and has talked to support section of BM who also didn't know of this problem.

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 6:05 am

BM should know about it.
I mentioned it in support ticket #FWD-153-54110 .

MickyLuvy

PostSat Jan 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Hello, I have EXACTLY the same problem. Got my camera two days ago and lense (Panasonic 14 -20mm) - was working fine then simply stopped. The only thing I can think of is that it did sop shortly after (maybe immediately after) I plugged my BMPCC into my mac to check whether i had the latest firmware. A box popped up and said i did. I closed the box (i think) and when i couldn't see any indicator or icon to click on and 'eject' the camera from the computer I simply disconnected the USB lead. Perhaps this has done something.

Symptoms:
Will not focus at all either using the cameras auto focus or the focus lever on lense.
Will not zoom at all using the pull on side of lense.

Camera still records etc and everything else seems fine....If I find a solution I'l post back!

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Jan 25, 2014 12:13 pm

MickyLuvy wrote:Hello, I have EXACTLY the same problem. Got my camera two days ago and lense (Panasonic 14 -20mm) - was working fine then simply stopped.

Symptoms:
Will not focus at all either using the cameras auto focus or the focus lever on lense.

Camera still records etc and everything else seems fine....If I find a solution I'l post back!

I didn't know there IS a Panasonic 14 -20mm lens. If it worked fine before, it cannot be the same issue.
This is about proper shutdown on power-off and the BMPCC not sending the correct command (or any command at all based on my logic analyser logs).
This issue has nothing to do with focusing or zooming at all.

MickyLuvy

PostSat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 pm

I didn't know there IS a Panasonic 14 -20mm lens

sorry that was a typo...i meant to say 14 - 42mm lense.

If it worked fine before, it cannot be the same issue.
This is about proper shutdown on power-off and the BMPCC not sending the correct command (or any command at all based on my logic analyser logs).
This issue has nothing to do with focusing or zooming at all.

Ok, but there is an overlap I believe as loads of people are having problems with the BMPCC and this particular lense. My lense wil not retract and also the camera cannot focus. There are two threads on this board concerning this and also an interesting post on dpreview concerning problems with this lense and BMPCC. Too much of a coincedence in my view for these issues to not be related.

Also if you read the very FIRST post it says : "I have a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm and I checked for a firmware update with the lens plugged in. Now the lens does not auto retract. When I turn the camera on the lens retracts then opens but nothing when I shut it off."

...and I said.....

"The only thing I can think of is that it did sop shortly after (maybe immediately after) I plugged my BMPCC into my mac to check whether i had the latest firmware. A box popped up and said i did. I closed the box (i think) and when i couldn't see any indicator or icon to click on and 'eject' the camera from the computer I simply disconnected the USB lead. Perhaps this has done something."

.....so how you can say 'it cannot be the same issue' is beyond me....it might be!

Could a Black Magic employee please ost on here and let us know what is going on? I have just paid £279 for a lense that should be compatable with BMPCC and yet refuses to work at al!

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Jan 25, 2014 1:30 pm

If you switch the camera ON it should not retract, it should expand.
The reason I found for it not two retract is the missing shutdown command on the SPI bus between lens and camera. (being the only lens that does much with that command, only this lens is currently affected)
This cannot be related to any focusing because clearly the commands for focusing ARE implemented.
It just happens two be the same lens.
Also this is nothing that happens with only some 14-42PZ but all of them, all the time.
The 14-42PZ has nothing to do with their 14-42 or 14-42 II.

bernardo

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello,

One man post on youtube a solution for this problem, not perfect but it's work for me.

search on google with:
Panasonic 14 42 retraction trick - YouTube

may be it can help you.

wolfgang

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Camille Darley

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 2:47 pm

MickyLuvy wrote:Hello, I have EXACTLY the same problem. Got my camera two days ago and lense (Panasonic 14 -20mm) - was working fine then simply stopped. The only thing I can think of is that it did sop shortly after (maybe immediately after) I plugged my BMPCC into my mac to check whether i had the latest firmware. A box popped up and said i did. I closed the box (i think) and when i couldn't see any indicator or icon to click on and 'eject' the camera from the computer I simply disconnected the USB lead. Perhaps this has done something.

Symptoms:

I have the same problem, like if the lens got no power at all. I tested it with another lens (a Panasonic Lumix 45-200) and it doesn't work either.
Did you find a solution?

benhense

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 1:33 am

I have same problem that also started just after I plugged in the camera to the computer. Was working fine before that...
No power to the lens at all now and stuck out.Anyone work out a solution???? :(

RodrigoBettencourt

PostSun Oct 26, 2014 11:45 pm

I have the same problem. It worked well all day. It just stopped working at all. No retraction, no focus and no aperture control.
Please, does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Ellory Yu

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Same here. Please fix this ASAP!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Have you tried reinstalling the current firmware without a lens attached?

Just to reiterate what was said earlier in this thread.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

benhense

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 10:41 pm

How do we reinstall the software? Every time I open it up it says I'm up to date and can't go any further...

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Trying downgrading to a previous firmware and then back to the current firmware to see if this resolves the problem.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

benhense

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi Tony,
Just tried downgrading then upgrading firmware and no result... The lens is still inactive when switched on. The lens makes a small noise when turned on like the camera is talking to the lens and then nothing.
Any other ideas? I'm thinking you should take this lens off the recommended lens list for this camera. This has now cost me a lot of money but more importantly TIME...
Regards
Ben

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Did you try updating the firmware of the lens while it's attached to the actual Panasonic camera? Our cameras will not update your firmware for your lens as this is something Panasonic requires on their end. You can also check the Panasonic forums to see if they have suggestions on how to address this.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

RodrigoBettencourt

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 8:39 pm

I just updated lens firmware to1.2 with a panasonic gx 1 body and the update was done.
still the lens don't work, even on the GX 1 body.

It was something in the bmpcc that made the lens stop.

How to fix?

benhense

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Oh, that's not a good sign. I just bought a Panasonic Camera off ebay to do the update as the local camera shop told me to get stuffed when I asked them. I hope I didn't just waist another $150! Arrives today so I'll let you know how I go. If the BMPCC has damaged the lens then the only option is to send it back to Panasonic. However if it was damaged from a 3rd party Camera I don't think they will care...

benhense

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 12:03 pm

FYI
Just tried updating the sortware on the lens, no improvement. I think the BMPCC has damaged the lens. The Panasonic body is saying 'lens not recognised' . I tried returning it to Panasonic but they want nothing to do with it as they are onto the fact these lens' are being damaged by the BMPCC's. This is an issue that Black Magic need to sort out as I am now $450 in the hole due to the BMPCC damaging the lens and it was an approved lens on their site.
Someone must take responsibility for this and it seems Black Magic are trying to put the blame on everyone else but themselves....
Please respond as I am now pretty pissed as many other Black Magic users.

Andrei Nikolaenko

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 1:03 pm

I have attached my 14-42 PZ to BMPCC before and after BMPCC fw update. Before update it didn't retract, after update it started retract. I mounted and unmounted the lens in any possible way - while BMPCC was turned off and on, retracted and not retracted. Nothing could damage it.

I did not update the lens firmware at all.

I don't think BMPCC has damaged your lens. It's just the lens itself could be faulty. Panasonic MUST accept it for examination and make a conclusion of the exact cause that led to failure. This is a normal procedure for every warranty case. If the lens has crushed gear inside, for example, it is obviously not BMPCC's fault.

benhense

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 pm

You obviously haven't ready this thread.... How can so many people have exactly the same problem with the BMPCC and yet no problems on Panasonic cameras. If you search the Panasonic forums there are no such problems at all. Only on the BM forums. :roll:

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 4:30 pm

It is agreed, that this lens did not work correctly on the BMPCC until the recent updates, previously, it would extend and iris/focus would work, but it would not retract. Now with the recent upgrade, it appeRs to be working correctly. Panasonic lenses, from time to time, come out with issues, and do not work correctly, even on a Panasonic camera. A correctly working lens, will work on a Pany body, even if it does not work on a BM camera. Attaching a lens correctly to a camera, is not going to damage any mechanical parts of a lens, electrical,issues, however, can happen. Previously reported problems indicated lens would not work on BM camera, but worked correctly on a Panny camera.
Return your lens to Pannasonic to,have it checked -- this is not a camera issue.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gordon Lee

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 10:13 am

I have this lens and it works well as per BM recommendation.

However I did not have the lens on when I update my BMPCC.
Gordon Lee (Brisbane Australia)

BMPCC user

Mads Reck

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi! I am a new bmpcc user about to buy an extra lens. This is a pretty scary thread without any solution provided by BlackmagicDesign, has this issue been resolved?

Cheers,
Mads

Alex Stevens

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem - is there a solution yet?
Pressing lens release didn't help.

Enrico Savazzi

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:The Panasonic lens have a firmware update that requires a Panasonic camera to update it. This feature is something set up by the company themselves.

Don't know if it helps, but you can update the firmware of a Panasonic Micro 4/3 lens with the lens mounted either on a Panasonic camera (as already stated) or alternatively an Olympus Micro 4/3 camera.

Return to Getting Started