Ultra Studio Express doesn't see SDI from Mini Converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Gary Bartholomew

Ultra Studio Express doesn't see SDI from Mini Converter

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 pm

My Ultra Studio Express can take the SDI signal from my Panasonic AF-100 and send it to my Macbook Pro thru the Thunderbolt port with no problems. It took me a few tries to set the preferences in Media Express to match what the camera was sending, but I eventually found a flavor it liked and everything worked. However I just tried taking a signal from a Canon XHA1s out thru it's component output, into a Blackmagic Analog to SDI Mini Converter, and out of the converter to the Ultra Studio Express... and Media Express cannot see it using any of the options under preferences. I assumed Blackmagic products would play nice together. What am I doing wrong ?

Gary Bartholomew

Re: Ultra Studio Express doesn't see SDI from Mini Converter

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Nevermind... I was using the viewfinder component output rather than the HD/SD component output. Switched it and I'm now capturing with no problems. Any chance we might get more capture codec options in future firmware updates? Like maybe H.264?

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ultra Studio Express doesn't see SDI from Mini Converter

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Hello Gary,

Glad you got it up and running.

Codecs are usually going to be determined by the application you utilize with the hardware. We pretty much just provide the hardware. Using the UltraStudio with Premiere CS6 would give you codecs like DVCPRO HD. With FC7, this would allow ProRes.

As far as H.264, we usually have to add an additional hardware encoding chip to allow this codec. If it is possible via software, I will log the request, although most current NLEs or transcoding software can export as H.264.
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Return to Getting Started