Purpose of Contact Block for Switronix Battery?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

John Locke

Purpose of Contact Block for Switronix Battery?

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm getting ready to order some external power for my pre-ordered BMDCC and it's looking like the Switronix Powerbase 70 is the most recommended solution.

I'm wondering though...what is the purpose of the contact block that comes with the battery?

Here is the combo at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884706-REG/Switronix_pb70_bmcc_Powerbase_70_Battery_Pack_for.html

Excuse my ignorance on the subject...this is the first time I'm putting together a DSLR rig and V-Mount battery solution. The rig I have already has a power splitter built-in with 5.2, 7, and 12 volt outputs. Does that negate the need for the contact block?

If not, how do people usually attach a contact block to a rig?

Thanks for clearing this up!

dennysb

Re: Purpose of Contact Block for Switronix Battery?

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 4:18 am

Currently using the PB70 for my 5DM3 set up, I believe you are referring to the 5 contact block on one side. In the case of the canon adapter it actually connects this way and avoids having the second block (more compact)

In some cases, like with the BMCC - you will connect on the side connector

hope this helps - FYI, when I get my BMCC I will buy the adaptor since I already have the PS

Return to Getting Started