Consumer-Enthusiast: What else do I need to buy?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

iowaboy

Consumer-Enthusiast: What else do I need to buy?

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 10:19 pm

I am looking at getting the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera as I'm planning on moving from my current (and increasingly flaky)consumer-grade camcorder with a hotshoe and shotgun mike to either a GH3 or this videocamera. I shoot indoor vocal performances and dances mostly. Fixed focus or fast focus is important as is the ability to process sound. DOF is not as high on the list but would be a lot of fun for other applications. Before I dive into what seems to be a pro-level camera I need to know what I'm getting into to make this work without a lot of extra money or hassle. Obviously I need lenses, which I understand can cost more than this camera. But here are my questions:

1. It seems from the videos I've looked at that post-production is mandatory with this camera. I see it comes with a basic program to do that. Am I right?
2. For editing, do $100 PC consumer-level video editing programs (Premiere, PowerDirector) handle the codecs on this camera? Or do I have to cough up $1,500 for an editing program.
3. Anything special about the lenses? I have some crappy four-thirds kits lenses but will they work in a pinch?
4.Any issues with microphones I need to worry about?

adamroberts

Re: Consumer-Enthusiast: What else do I need to buy?

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 11:24 pm

DOF?? "Depth of field" so what kind of depth of field?? Shallow? Deep??

Sorry... seem I lot of people use that acronym badly. I'm guessing you mean shallow DOF. In other words a "fast" lens with the aperture set wide open. Fast lenses generally cost a lot more because they are more complext to make well.

:-)

Now to your actual questions.

iowaboy wrote:1. It seems from the videos I've looked at that post-production is mandatory with this camera. I see it comes with a basic program to do that. Am I right?

The camera shoots in 2 modes of ProRes and RAW. RAW requires more complicated post production and you can do that with DaVinci Resolve Lite that is free. The ProRes comes in 2 options. Film mode with is a LOG type image (flat) has more dynamic range and requires some light post work to give it the "look" you require. This can be down in Resolve or in you NLE (Premier Pro, FCPX, etc). Video mode is a REC.709 colour space (HDTV) and is more saturated and contrasty. This requires very little, if any, post production.

iowaboy wrote:2. For editing, do $100 PC consumer-level video editing programs (Premiere, PowerDirector) handle the codecs on this camera? Or do I have to cough up $1,500 for an editing program.

Not sure about PowerDirector. Never seen it in action. The ProRes formats you will need to install QUickTime on your machine for your editor to be able to work with the files. Premier Pro works just fine.

There are sample files shared by many that you could download and try. Might need to do a search on this forum or even on Google. Look for Blackmagic ProRes footage.

iowaboy wrote:3. Anything special about the lenses? I have some crappy four-thirds kits lenses but will they work in a pinch?

Some of the kit lenses work, non of them are very fast and so would not be much good in low light nor would the produce shallow DOF. Blackmagic currently list the following as being compatible:
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4.0
Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 (with stabilization)
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (with stabilization)
Panasonic Lumix G 35-100mm f/2.8
Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/2.8
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f/1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R

iowaboy wrote:4.Any issues with microphones I need to worry about?

The built in mic is, well like all built in mics, rubbish. It's really only then for syncing externally recorded sound or a reference. You will need a mic. I'd suggest the Rode Video Mic Pro. If used set to +20 you get good sound out of it on the camera. The non Pro version is not loud enough.
Here is a discussion and some sample audio files:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15878

adamroberts

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 pm

This list of FAQ's put together by Blackmagic may also answer many other questions for you:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... &pid=34849

adamroberts

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 11:33 pm

And here is some sample footage:
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/08/prores- ... ost-price/

Hope that helps...

iowaboy

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks so much. Yes, I used DOF rather broadly. I meant boka-style narrow depth of field. It is, in my experience, a detriment when shooting singers and dancers on a stage when they are moving around. Sounds like this is a camera that will work pretty much out of the box and that I can grow into.

Return to Getting Started