Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 HDMI with WQHD Monitor - HOW?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

sgierth

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 HDMI with WQHD Monitor - HOW?

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 9:51 am

Dear blackmagic representatives,

I bought the NEC PA27W with WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution to feed it with Intensity Shuttles HDMI signal with 10bit color.

This monitor has 2 DVI-D and 1 DisplayPort inputs, but no HDMI.

I cannot find any HDMI=>DisplayPort adapters, so I tried an HDMI=>DVI-D adapter. But the one I use currently makes the monitor complain about "cannot display interlaced signal".

What kind of adapter do I need to buy to make this work?

HDMI output of Intensity works fine when connected to a cheap 1080p HDMI input of another monitor.

Thanks!

Sebastian-A. Gierth
Switzerland

Fred

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 HDMI with WQHD Monitor - HOW?

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 am

I am also having problems with this.

When I use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input I am not getting any signal on the monitor.

When using only HDMI it works fine?

Fred

sgierth

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 7:30 am

UPDATE
NEC hotline confirmed it is most likely not an adapter/cable/monitor problem. They think that BMD Intensity shuttle delivers interlaced signal to the monitor.

I have tried to change this in the BMD Intensity control panel, there are no controls to change the behaviour to progressive.

Is is necessary to update BMD Intensity firmware/driver?

Sebastian-Alex.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 10:31 pm

In our progressive modes, we always deliver native progressive. So in 1080p29.97 we will deliver P, not PsF.

In fact the intensity series do not have the PsF option that our decklink boards have. Also i've heard no other complaints on our progressive output being sent out as interlaced.

Personally, i'm more inclined to believe that there is an EDID issue that is being cause and the two are not handshaking right.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

sgierth

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 am

After trying all available EDID settings on my monitor the same issues still exists. There seems to be no way to adapt HDMI out of Intensity shuttle USB 3.0 to the NEC PA271w´s DVI-D inputs which works.

Would it be an option for Blackmagic Design to consider adding a DisplayPort (DP) OUT to the intensity devices instead of HDMI? This would be a huge benefit for DP monitors since there is no easy technical adaptation from HDMI=>DP.

In case of monitor having HDMI IN only, you can buy a cheap (10-20$) adaptor which works easy doing DP=>HDMI conversion.

Or, if this is not possible, add a DP OUT and keep HDMI out and make the device a little more expensive?

I know there is a "professional" solution available from Blackmagic which is ~ 800-900$ total:

-- Convert to SDI with DeckLink Studio or UltraStudio SDI
-- Connect to SDI of HDLink3D DisplayPort

I have not tested this yet but it seems overkill for me sitting in my home studio without any need for additional SDI infrastructure.

Return to Getting Started