Upgrading to HD for presentation use

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jeremy Cox

Upgrading to HD for presentation use

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello all, we have been put up to the task to update our old gear in our 1200 seat auditorium and in our video studio. Since the studio is going all HD, and will be sending me an HD-SDI signal to output to the projectors in the theatre, I need to be able to handle the HD.

Planning to purchase:
(1) ATEM 1 switcher
(1) Decklink Studio HD for our Mac Pro

List of sources for input:
Mac Pro (from Decklink) 1080i capable
Bluray player- 1080i capable
DVD player (Currently own- may or may not leave in the mix) 1080i capable
HD-SDI feed from studio- assuming 1080i capable
Guest laptops- this one is where I am having trouble- I may have to put a scaler in between to output 1080i to ATEM
Possibly a direct camera feed in- HD-SDI

Current projectors- can handle 1080i (tested on component input) untested on DVI-D input. Pretty sure it will lock into it on that input.

Does this look like a viable setup for us?

I have not been successful at finding an all in one switcher/scaler/presentation device to handle all the inputs/outputs needed. I like the options of the ATEM, especially since I can add the Broadcast Panel to it for easy switching.
I know my biggest chalenge will be keeping all resolutions the same, so i will probably have to arm myself with converters so whatever is thrown at me I can input into the ATEM and output easily.

Return to Getting Started