HDMI to SDI mini convertor

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mbrown_cmc

HDMI to SDI mini convertor

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi,
We currently use an HDMI to SDI mini convertor. We send a signal from a Crestron DM Matrix using DM to a Crestron convertor. The output is HDMI and we can view it as HDMI. When we connect to the mini convertor, we lose the signal. We need the coversion for an SDI recorder and switcher.
Is there any issues we are overlooking?

Thanks, Mitch
Mitch Brown
Asst Dir of Media Technology
Claremont McKenna College

unveilgroup

Re: HDMI to SDI mini convertor

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 am

Please i think im having similar issues but in my case the HD-SDI out from the mini converter shows on my smartview Duo monitor but refuses to show in my atem television studio or my video hub. Please what can i do?

Richard Crowley

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 1:10 am

mbrown_cmc wrote:... The output is HDMI and we can view it as HDMI. When we connect to the mini convertor, we lose the signal. We need the coversion for an SDI recorder and switcher. Is there any issues we are overlooking?

Please explain exactly what you mean by "lose the signal". HOW are you looking at the SDI signal that make you think you have "lost" it? For example, if you are feeding the SDI signal into an ATEM switcher, are the parameters of the original HDMI source matching what the ATEM is set for?

mbrown_cmc

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 4:24 am

Richard Crowley wrote:
mbrown_cmc wrote:... The output is HDMI and we can view it as HDMI. When we connect to the mini convertor, we lose the signal. We need the coversion for an SDI recorder and switcher. Is there any issues we are overlooking?

Please explain exactly what you mean by "lose the signal". HOW are you looking at the SDI signal that make you think you have "lost" it? For example, if you are feeding the SDI signal into an ATEM switcher, are the parameters of the original HDMI source matching what the ATEM is set for?

We connect the HDMI to our monitor in an HDMI input and we get video. When we connect HDMI to the mini convertor then out SDI to the SDI input of the same monitor, no video. We had hoped to connect the SDI out of the mini to our digital mixer which has only SDI in.

Thanks
Mitch Brown
Asst Dir of Media Technology
Claremont McKenna College

Esa Kranz

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 2:10 pm

It is important to understand that Blackmagic Mini Converters can only accept broadcast video signals, meaning the specific resolutions & refresh rates listed here:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/miniconverters/techspecs/
You have to adjust your source accordingly to get the Mini Converter to work properly.
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Gross

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Any more information on this? I too am coming out of a Crestron DigitalMedia matrix via HDMI and going into a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converter. It is then being sent into a NewTek TriCaster. I know the HDMI is good coming out, 1280x720 60hz, but there is nothing on the SDI output.

Esa Kranz

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 7:32 am

Note that if your content has HDCP (copy protection) on, and a non-HDCP compliant device is added to chain, output will be turned black. SDI does not support HDCP and thus an HDMI to SDI converter can not show content with an active HDCP bit.
- The content itself does not have to be copy protected, it is enough that protection is in active state. One device that by default activates it, is an Apple display adapter. So if you connect Apple laptop to your HDMI matrix/switch input and try to convert it to SDI on any of the outputs, your output will be black.
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Return to Getting Started