Low Resolution VGA support?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mimameidr

Low Resolution VGA support?

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro but I have a question:

Atm i own an AverMedia Capture HD card. This card seems nice and stuff, the software is damn unstable...but ok for this. But now I bought an HDMI to VGA converter...that means my Video input is a low resolution input (minimum is 800x600, maybe 640x480). AverMedia can't handle these resolutions. The specs say it can, but nope "out of Range"...so I need a card that can handle this stuff.

I am connecting my old Win98 Computer to the card via the converter. My Samsung monitor can handle all resolutions without problems....so is the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro card able to handle low resolutions?

TL:DR: is the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro card able to handle low resolutions? <= 1024x768

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Low Resolution VGA support?

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 10:41 pm

More importantly you are trying to feed it Computer resolutions and it needs to be receiving broadcast resolutions.

So when you say 640x480, the broadcast equivalent is 720x480. So you will need to set your computer output to a broadcast resolution. HOWEVER. I've not yet found a VGA to HDMI/DVI adapter that works. You cannot simply plug in a VGA plug into a gender bender and have it work as the signaling is not right.

There are companies that make converters to do this, but they don't typically work with broadcast resolutions which we require.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Esa Kranz

Re: Low Resolution VGA support?

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 8:15 am

Gefen produces a VGA to DVI converter/scaler EXT-VGA-2-DVISP, which seems to support 1080i50 and 1080i60 output modes. DVI can be converted to HDMI by passive adapter, so it just might work.

More on this page (Gefen.us product page with link to a PDF manual):
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4341
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Return to Getting Started