ultradeck mini-recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mike holifield

ultradeck mini-recorder

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Ok, I will admit I am a total newb, so please bear with me.

I am really interested in the mini-recorder, but can't seem to find any basic information. I want to record the HDMI signal out of my Sony A-57 camera on to my late 2011 macbook pro.

A) Is there a software application included with the mini-recorder, or do I have to use another program to do this?

B) Is it possible to use the mini recorder in a daisy chain, since thunderbolt supports other peripherals? What I have in mind is to use a thunderbolt external hard drive to capture the uncompressed video. I know there's not a thunderbolt output on the mini-recorder and it would have to be at the end, but is this even possible?

(In theory, a person could use the Seagate thunderbolt adapter and seagate hard drives to have up to 2 TB of recording uncompressed video)

I would personally LOVE to use the new cinema camera, but it is outside my budget at this time.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: ultradeck mini-recorder

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 10:43 pm

mike holifield wrote:A) Is there a software application included with the mini-recorder, or do I have to use another program to do this?

We do include Media Express which will work for capture. Or you can use Premiere, or Final Cut or a number of other applications that support capture from our products.

mike holifield wrote:B) Is it possible to use the mini recorder in a daisy chain, since thunderbolt supports other peripherals? What I have in mind is to use a thunderbolt external hard drive to capture the uncompressed video. I know there's not a thunderbolt output on the mini-recorder and it would have to be at the end, but is this even possible?

Yes, this will work. We do this at shows all the time.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

mike holifield

Re: ultradeck mini-recorder

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 5:26 am

awesome. Thank you so much.

Let me make sure i get the process right... macbook-----thunderbolt cable---external HD----thunderbolt cable----mini recorder----hdmi---camera

Return to Getting Started