Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) HDMI Input Problems

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Maddux

Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) HDMI Input Problems

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi Guys,
Just got the Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt and I'm having problems. Component is working fine, but I'm having lots of problems with the HDMI port. A couple of devices (Canon Vixia HF10 and iPhone 4S with AV Adapter) will not show any input at all. I've confirmed they're working with several TVs and I've triple checked that I've got the correct resolution and frame rate settings in both the System Preference Pane and in Media Express (Plus, I tried every available resolution, just to be sure.) Neither of these devices shows up at all over HDMI. Neither device is HDCP locked (except of course if the iPhone is playing protected content). I've conferred with another user (on the BoinxTV forums) that the same Canon works for him over HDMI, and when I plug it in over component it works great.

Now here's the weird thing. I have gotten one device to work, kind of. My iPad (first gen) will work intermittently. I'll hook it up, confirm settings, pop over to Log and Capture and it's blank. But then sometimes it will pop in and work great for a bit. Then it starts flickering. I'd say at about 3hz. Then it might stop flickering, or the signal might disappear entirely. Sometimes I can get it to come back, sometimes not. Could this be a hardware issue? I've seen other are having problems with OSX 10.8.2 with DaVinci Resolve, so maybe it's an OS issue? I'm lost!

Here's my specifics...

Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt
Macbook Pro with Retina Display
OSX 10.8.2
Desktop Video 9.6.4

*EDIT*
Also, just for clarification, I got the Intensity to use with the Canon camera. The iOS devices just happened to be the only other non-HDCP locked devices I had handy.

jpitkin

Re: Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) HDMI Input Problems

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm

I had a similar issue today. On friday I had my Intensity configured to accept the HDMI (1080i59.94) and work with Media Express & Wirecast.

Unplugged the Intensity and left for the weekend.

Came back, didn't change ANY settings, plugged the Intensity back in and the HDMI input wouldn't work!

Hoping that the new set of drivers for 10.8.2 fixes it.

I'm on a MBP Running 10.8.2 with Desktop Video 9.6.2

Joe Pitkin

miguelandorffy

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 am

I have similar problem.

I have the Blackmagic Extreme, with Media Express and Canon 600D it shows up image with 1080i and 59,94.

But if I go to Boinxtv and add Blackmagic as source nothing shows up.

Do someone know how to fix it?]

Maddux

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi, just to check back in, I was the one who posted the original question. I was able to fix my problem, but I wouldn't necessarily suggest it to someone else. It definitely seemed to be a problem with incompatibility between OSX 10.8.2, my rMBP and the Intensity Shuttle. On a last ditch effort to get it to work (I had a deadline) I backed up, used the restore partition to do a clean install with 10.8.0 and installed everything from there. Voila! It worked! And it's been working reliably ever since. Basically, I'm staying away from 10.8.2, waiting for the next update.

Return to Getting Started