Blackmagic is black in Webex

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

psp2014

Blackmagic is black in Webex

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 8:42 pm

My small company is going to do some live webinars with a major client. The client only uses Webex. I want to use an external camera instead of my built-in camera on my laptop. When I try to punch up the Blackmagic in Webex, all I get is black as well as no audio. This is my equipment:

Intensity Extreme
Camera is Panasonic AG-HMC40P
Macbook Pro w/retina display

I hook my camera to the Intensity Extreme by HDMI, then to my Macbook thru the Thunderbolt port, I CAN see and here my camera thru Media Express.

When I go to Webex and start a session, the Capture option (where you can change cameras) has a Blackmagic toggle, but when I click on it, it is just black. Also, I cannot see my Extreme in Final Cut Pro X when I go to Import Media.

I know the flow is coming into the Macbook because I can see it in Media Express, I just can't seem to see it anywhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!

Chad

Re: Blackmagic is black in Webex

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 9:08 pm

Black means your resolutions don't match. Meaning the resolution that Webex is expecting is not being output by your camera. Neither Webex, nor the Blackmagic device will scale your camera signal to match the resolution that Webex is streaming at. This is the same with all of the online meeting services. Try setting your camera to SD NTSC output.

For reference GoToMeeting only accepts video at 720p50, and Adobe Connect only accepts video at 480p NTSC Progressive.

psp2014

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks for your response Chad. I tried some SD settings as well as my older SD Panasonic camera to no avail. Once again, after I changed my resolutions, I could see everything in Media Express, just not in Webex.

In Webex, I can test my audio and it gives me the option for Blackmagic Audio, and I get nothing there either. I would have thought that regardless of the resolution, I should still hear audio.

I CAN see my Face-time camera in Webex and I looked up the specs on it and it is 720p. I tried all my 720p settings on my external camera, still no go.

It concerns me because I should be able to see this in my Final Cut Pro X in Capture Media as well regardless of the resolution, and I do not.

JayFiset

PostSat Feb 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Were you able to get this resolved? I am trying to do the same basic thing with a Canon Xa10 and google hangouts no luck. I cannot even get media express to see the camera

psp2014

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 3:57 am

Yes, I was able to work this out. I called Webex and was able to work with them. Turns out I just had the free version of Webex, not the paid (which let's you use HD video). On the free version, I could see a drop down for Blackmagic when I went to change the camera, but it came up black. With the paid version, I am given many options (720, 1080, etc.)
You do need to be able to see your camera in the Blackmagic Media Express just to make sure your camera is coming into the computer. You need to check 2 things: 1) Under "System Preferences" make sure your settings are set correctly, & 2) in Media Express, go to "Preferences" and set your camera output (1080p, 1080i, 720p, 720i, etc...). Once you can see it in Media Express, you know your camera is coming thru the Intensity Extreme correctly. Hope this helps!

Gbrinson

PostFri Mar 21, 2014 4:10 am

I just got the BMIE, plugged it into my Canon Vixia M50 connected to my MacBook Air, launched the program and there was my video capture. Went to a google hangout test and no picture. I went back to the program and changed the resolution from the default of 1080i 60 and no picture anywhere. Changed it back, no picture, tried every option and no picture. Rebooted, reconnected and nothing. Very frustrating.

Chad

PostFri Mar 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Google Hangouts does not support Blackmagic devices, only webcams (ie devices that advertise themselves as UVC devices over USB, which blackmagic does not do). Others have gotten their capture cards to work with Hangouts by using special software that "tricks" Hangouts into thinking that the Blackmagic input was a webcam.

kreutz

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 am

Hello - sorry for bumping this old thread. I am looking to purchase and use Intensity Pro + PTZ camera (HD component) with software called Vidyo (similar to WebEx). They say that they recognise the card OK and that it is suitable for streaming.

My question is: is there any delay caused by the capture card? If instead of feeding video and audio through a normal webcam and microphone input I do it via this card, will there be noticable delay?

Chad

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

No, the card will not introduce any additional delay as the capture card is just a pass-through. Delay typically happens when the image is scaled (stretched or shrunk) or processed in some way (color correction etc). Vidyo will scale the image based on available bandwidth but that applies to any video source including webcams, not just capture cards.

jamesroger

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 6:02 am

In addition to WebEx, you may try using a RHUB web conferencing server. It works well.

johnpeterson123

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 am

Yes, we have used Webex web conferencing service in addition to gotomeeting and R-HUB web conferencing servers and it is really good. You can use the same.

Return to Getting Started