UltraStudio Express > S-Video

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

trax

UltraStudio Express > S-Video

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm

I have a S-VHS recorder that I want to connect to an UltraStudio Express via S-Video cable. Can you please tell me the different ways of achieving this? The breakout cable that came with the unit doesn't have a S-Video connector on it. While on the subject, I am also wondering how to connect the VHS recorders' audio...

Thanks!

Esa Kranz

Re: UltraStudio Express > S-Video

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 am

Ulltrastudio Express breakout cable includes Component (YUV) in/out connectors, which are used also for other analog video connections.
You just select the recording mode by software and connect Component with 3 cables YUV, S-Video with two cables (Y/C) and Composite with one (Y).
For S-Video you then need a breakout cable that has a S-Video connector on the other end and two BNC connectors on the other. Basically on S-Video connector the active pins on each side should go to one coax cable: four pins are in use, so it branches out to two coax cables.

For audio side there are separate connectors in&out, so that should be quite straightforward.

Just note that you have a separate software control panel for changing the input/output modes!
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 pm

The adapter cables are available at shops that can fabricate cables. But you can contact our dealers about buying this cable (it's a part number they can order from our distributors).
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

trax

PostSun May 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I am still trying to hook up a Diamond Pro S-VHS player via UltraStudio Express. I have managed to get the required cable, S-VIDEO on one end (VIDEO OUT ON THE VCR) and two BNC connectors on the other.

I am trying to hook it up using the "pro" breakout cable. But I cannot get any signal.

Can someone please tell me what two connectors on the pro breakout cable I should use?

I suppose it is two of these:
R-Y IN
B-Y IN
Y IN

Also, the only setting I am using for the software is "S-VIDEO and Analog Audio" (input).

Can someone please tell me which connectors I need to plug into and what settings I need?

HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!

trax

PostSun May 05, 2013 12:40 pm

After almost 6 months of trying this is getting frustrating.

Alternatively I have tried connecting the VCR to the UltraStudio Express via a VIDEO (LINE) BCN cable going into the 8 Y IN breakout cable connection and this way a get an intermittent signal only, the VCR image flashes every few seconds or so in the capture window of BM Media Express.

Also I get the same intermittent signal when connecting via S-Video to B-Y and R-Y in breakout connectors.

I have two connections on my VCR: S-VIDEO and LINE. For the S-Video I bought a custom cable: S-Video on one end and two BCN connectors on the other. However with this cable I have been unable to get any signal whatsoever. Can someone kindly tell me the software config. and what cable connectors on the pro breakout cable I need to connect to, please?

The VCR is a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro, professional deck and it connects and plays back to broadcast monitors. I have used the Studio Express successfully to import via HDMI but so far from this VCR nothing I tried is working. Is this Studio Express capable of this? I read on another forum about a user reporting similar intermittent signal and then he said a BM video recorder fixed that issue. I don't want to buy another product unless I have to, but I am waiting for someone to tell me what I am doing wrong, if anything, and how to get this connected properly.

Thanks

pmcarro

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 pm

You need to get a time base corrector for analog video. I know this sucks. I'm looking for one myself. It should have one built in.

Return to Getting Started