H264 Pro Recorder and DVI extender

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ivan rutigliano

H264 Pro Recorder and DVI extender

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi, I've a simple question: is possible to use DVI extender to send (in extender mode) video to H264 Pro Recorder to record it?
Thank you!

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: H264 Pro Recorder and DVI extender

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 12:35 am

The H.264 Pro Recorder will accept video from the DVI Extender in video mode, but not in extender mode. Extender mode is designed to output computer resolutions, which the H.264 Pro Recorder does not accept. Video mode is designed for television video resolutions, which the H.264 Pro Recorder can accept.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

ivan rutigliano

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you Sarah!
I need record VGA signal with H264 Pro Recorder.
I think there are 2 way to do it but I'm not sure that it is correct.
1) VGA PC---> VGA-HDMI scaler---> HDMI input on H264 Pro Recorder
2) VGA PC---VGA-COMPONENT cable ----> coMponent input on H264 Pro Recorder

Is it correct?

Thank you!

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm

A VGA to Component cable might not work because traditionally these converter cables end up with 5 outputs (the standard red, green, and blue connectors plus an additional two for horizontal and vertical sync), and the the H.264 Pro Recorder uses 3 input cables with just red, green, and blue in a YUV color space, like what's found out of a camera or DVD player. A VGA to RGB cable may not convert things properly, and you'll likely want an actual hardware converter that takes VGA to YPbPr.

For the VGA to HDMI scaler, this could work, but I will mention that we've seen many VGA to HDMI converters that don't always seem to get the job done when it comes to the analog to digital conversion. There are some out there that do get the job done, but unfortunately I don't have any specific models to recommend to you.

VGA can be a tricky source to come from, being an analog computer style connection. You'll just want to make sure to get the right hardware to convert things.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

lucyamelia123

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Please note you can use DVI or HDMI Extenders to push video if the monitor is more than 30-40 ft away from the video source. These can't be used for recording applications. I am an installer and use DVI Extender and HDMI Extender products for installations all the time for extension applications.

ivan rutigliano

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Thank you all for your help ;) !
I've another question: I've found this scaler, http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8915.
Do you think it could work with H264 PRO recorder (VGA input 1024x768 HDMI output 720p or 1080 p)?
Thank you!

Ivan Rutigliano

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Having not tested that Gefen converter, I couldn't say exactly how well it will do the conversion. It looks like it should do the trick, but we unfortunately don't have any experience with it specifically.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Getting Started