Intensity and Ultrastudio question

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Dstar

Intensity and Ultrastudio question

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 4:44 am

Hi,
I really want to support Blackmagic products do to the fact that they are providing Davinci Resolve lite free and great products at very reasonable prices. My question is this. I am set up on a mac and mainly use FCPX. I want a capture hardware device that you can capture video and also monitor video from FCPX to a second monitor. With the Matrox, it states you can monitor and calibrate through HDMI output to a second monitor for preview and color correction purposes. What Blackmagic product can be used as a similar capture and monitor through HDMI?
I was reading on the Intensity Extreme, but it states that you can't monitor from FCPX? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jesuan Soriano

Re: Intensity and Ultrastudio question

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 am

Does FCPX actually support external video?? I think it doesn't, but I'm not sure at all. First make sure it does and then get your capture card.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 am

Dstar wrote:Hi,

I was reading on the Intensity Extreme, but it states that you can't monitor from FCPX? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Dstar,

You certainly can monitor out from FCPX from the Intensity Extreme. Just make sure you have the latest driver installed and setup the default output format from within System Preferences > Blackmagic Design

Grant Petty

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 am

Hi,

You can record for FCP X by using Media Express as FCP X does not have the ability to capture from a hardware device inside the software itself, however Media Express thats included with the product allows you to do capture, import EDLs and all those kinds of tasks.

Grant

Dstar

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Thank you

Here Below is a link to the Blackmagic Intensity Extreme and Ultrastudio review. Under the Intensity Extreme it states:

[i]"It will work with Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro 7, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop and any QuickTime based software application. You cannot monitor the output of Final Cut Pro X with this device by trying to display the second desktop."[/i]
Under Ultrastudio it states:

"You can output from FCPX using the Ultrastudio 3D (via the desktop method) although you won't be able to monitor in 5.1 should your project be set up to edit surround sound."

Here is the link to the acticle: http://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software ... ty-extreme

Can anyone ellaborate on the difference?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 am

Hi,

When FCPX was first released, there was no option to monitor video output so on some of our products, we enabled a Video Desktop output so you can use that for FCPX monitoring.

However, this is no longer necessary as there is now a way of sending video output directly from FCPX. As such, all the products will allow you to monitor video output from FCPX. Your choice is really the type of connections you need.

For example, the UltraStudio 3D not only has HDMI and analog video connections, it also has HD-SDI connections but also supports up to 2K video. With Intensity Extreme, you have HDMI and analog video and audio but don't have HD-SDI.

Dstar

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 am

Perfect, Thanks

keninorlando

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you for this info.

On the UltraStudio Mini Monitor is it possible to use video from the SDI and HDMI and also have audio off the analog outputs of the host computer?

Thanks,
Ken

Return to Getting Started