Just got a 40x40 Video Hub, Now What?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jibun no kage

PostMon Nov 06, 2023 7:32 pm

As I understand it, I need to do the following:

1) Define, name all my inputs... in my case 4 cameras (via Studio Converters) and a PC and a Macintosh. PC we use for some chroma based effects, lower thirds. Macintosh two inputs, used for various things, via ProPresenter. We are using SDI/HDMI micro converters/Ultra Thunderbolt To SDI for the PC and Macintosh inputs.

2) Define all my outputs, 4 cameras returns, and 7 TVs/Projectors, 1 of which we would like to source ATEM multiview to. The projectors should display the Macintosh inputs, for now. We also have a couple of tracked SmartDou LCDs, but ignoring those for now.

Sorry for the long built up, but figured it was need to understand context. Here is the questions:

Once I have all inputs and outputs connected, and labelled, nick-named, defined. I can start creating routes.

As I understand it, define an input on the hub, is basically... 3 steps... press IN button, select type of input, say a camera, then provide the connected SDI input. Done. Rise and repeat for all the inputs, cameras, PC, Macintosh.

Then I need to create the outputs to the ATEM from the hub, I am using an ATEM Extreme ISO SDI for learning the hub, so, I select OUT, ATEM input, IN camera 1, rise and repeat for each camera.

I am a little fuzzy on how I setup the camera return to the studio converter through the hub to keep the tally/control working over POE. That would be an IN from ATEM (OUT), to the hub, then from hub an OUT to the given camera converter return right?

The documentation for the hub seems vague to me? Can't seem to find any concrete examples or walk-thru? Maybe something simple, that here is an ATEM, 1 converter, 1 camera, 1 monitor (multi-view), here is what you do. Looking for something that is STEP by STEP, can anyone point me to some documented examples?

Xtreemtec

Re: Just got a 40x40 Video Hub, Now What?

PostWed Nov 08, 2023 9:17 am

The hub is nothing more nothing less then a router that connects sources ( inputs ) to destinations ( outputs )

You select the output you want to change the source to. Then select the source to route to that output and hit take. ;)

Every output can only have 1 Input assigned to them. But you can send input 1 for example to all 40 outputs if you like.

So what we use is: Input 1-16 are our camera inputs. Output 1-16 are our outputs to the Atem.

Input 20 is our PGM feed from the Atem. And output 21 and up are our monitors, recorders etc.

So if i need to send a PGM feed to a monitor. I select the output connected to that monitor. Hit Source and select input 20 ( PGM ) and hit Take.

If all monitors need PGM then repeat for all monitor outputs. ;)

So your return to the cameras should also have PGM feed. Connect the Return input of the camera to an output of the Videohub. ( if you have more cameras then maybe add an Distribution Amplifier to split the signal towards multiple cameras so you dont eat up a lot of ports of your videohub. )
And send PGM to it. Atem PGM output has all the Tally, CCU control, Intercom in its video signal embedded..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jallen0

PostWed Nov 08, 2023 12:51 pm

I just received my 40 x 40 as well and am in the process of wiring everything up. One big takeaway so far for anyone reading this, don't forget to budget for cabling. I just wired my studio with 2,000' of cable runs ( using L-5.5CUHD )and am now wiring my hub ( using L-3.3CUHD). Using Canare 12G-SDI cable I am well over $3,000. For that however I have the ability to custom create each cable to the exact length vs buying off the shelf cabling.

Xtreemtec, great information regarding inputs and outputs.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

jibun no kage

PostSat Nov 18, 2023 1:58 am

Yes... we used several 10 channel SDI cables, to connect our camera converters (for POE), and we used 10 channel SDI cables for all the various outputs from the hub through our trunk conduit, then SDI runs to output devices throughout our building. We run program out of the ATEM so we can mirror program to various TVs, monitors, projectors via the hub, as well as stream. We did leave the ATEM multi-view as a direct out from the ATEM to a monitor, but we could have run it through the hub, as we did program.

The one thing we wish is that the ATEM Extreme ISO (SDI) was 8x8 not 8x4, but it is what it is. Our TV 4K is on back order, but once we have that in place we will run all our cameras via POE/converters into the hub, as we do now with the ATEM (SDI), and then will have full tally/control for all cameras returns via the hub.

@Xtreemtec,

However, if I understand correctly, what you are saying... Program (i.e. PGM) has the tally logic? So if I route PGM from ATEM via the hub, to all the camera returns.... tally will work as expected? I thought ATEM output to camera return had to be 1 to 1?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 9:34 am

Nope PGM has all the tally and all CCU control for all cameras embedded.

Just route 1 PGM or 1 AUX feed to all your cams and you are good. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started