Re: Good mac system to update to for editing

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

dharmpictures

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 4:12 pm

Hi, I recently bought the BMPCC4K and filmed a featured film. For years, I have been editing 1080p feature films on my Mac Mini (late 2012) with 8GB of RAM. As you know, my system is outdated and cannot play BRAW footage or even open Da Vinci.

I am looking at either another newer
Mac Mini, Macbook, or Mac desktop
. I am looking at getting the best bang for my buck budget-wise, so honestly, it doesn't matter if it's a Mac mini, desktop, or pro. I am looking to get it used for budget purposes.

The reason I use Mac is because I formatted my camera for OS and not ExFAT. I am not sure if I can use a Windows operating system with BRAW footage formatted for iOS.

Far as storage is concerned Use external hard drives when editing: 1TB for video footage and another for caches, etc.What would you recommend for a good system for editing?

Eric-Jan

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 11:06 pm

If you want to stay with Apple expect to spend some money, ExFat is the way to go IMHO
you can use this easily between Windows OS and MAC OS with SSD's i like the MAC OS for it's stablility,
But i guess with a windows PC you get more bang for buck, if you don't have old BMD hardware (M1 M2 in mind)
then go for a MAC, with a windows PC you can do more expanding, with a MAC it's most of the time:WYSIWYG….
The money you save with a Windows PC, you can invest in a good monitor.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

dharmpictures

PostSun Nov 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Hey thanks for your reply. I absolutely wouldn't mind editing on a windows based desktop. They seem to get the most bang out of your buck and they are affordable. I wasn't sure if I would be able to since my BMP is formatted for OS and not exFAT. If I were to go that route would I still be able to use my BRAW Footage formatted for OS on windows base?

dharmpictures

PostSun Nov 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:If you want to stay with Apple expect to spend some money, ExFat is the way to go IMHO
you can use this easily between Windows OS and MAC OS with SSD's i like the MAC OS for it's stablility,
But i guess with a windows PC you get more bang for buck, if you don't have old BMD hardware (M1 M2 in mind)
then go for a MAC, with a windows PC you can do more expanding, with a MAC it's most of the time:WYSIWYG….
The money you save with a Windows PC, you can invest in a good monitor.

Hey thanks for your reply. I absolutely wouldn't mind editing on a windows based desktop. They seem to get the most bang out of your buck and they are affordable. I wasn't sure if I would be able to since my BMP is formatted for OS and not exFAT. If I were to go that route would I still be able to use my BRAW Footage formatted for OS on windows base?

Eric-Jan

PostSun Nov 12, 2023 6:30 pm

Your files from your camera wil be no problem, ExFat can handle larger file sizes, is also made for flashmemory storage just google the wiki page for ExFat.
Just see ExFat as a replacement for NTFS, You can use ExFat both on a MAC as a windows PC.
the only thing is, your old MAC was using a 32bit file system, any new PC or MAC now uses a 64bit file system,
ExFat on flashmedia or SSD's you can access from any OS,
only when you want to format storage media to ExFat, you need first to back-up the files from that media.
If you have never worked on Windows OS before, be sure you protect it with good Virus protection software,
that's a big difference with the Apple Operating system, i switched to a MAC because of that.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

dharmpictures

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 9:12 pm

Okay, that makes sense! I was just curious because I had already formatted my settings for Mac OS X. If I am able to use my Mac OS X formatted on the Windows operating system, I will do that. I am thinking about grabbing another Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM for just editing purposes.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 3:35 pm

Only thing is, that some hardware is not compatible with higher than Big sur (intel) or M1 or M2 Mac chipsets,
But my guess is, only new hardware will interface with the recent interface ports on any recent or new Mac miini.
It's something to keep in account, and the resolution the system can handle.

Return to Getting Started