PC spec

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Hammerheadscoach

PC spec

PostWed Nov 15, 2023 9:16 pm

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k with the intention of digitising some VHS tapes then capturing some more high-res stuff via HDMI

Things are fine capturing VHS footage via Media Express but when capturing via HDMI the PC stutters or sometimes hangs. So, here's the thing - I only have one PCIE slot on the motherboard so I've had to remove my GPU (Nvidia GTX 950 2Gb GDDR5) to install the Blackmagic card and use the integrated graphics card to connect to my monitor. Not sure how much of an impact this has on performance but I strongly suspect it may be a factor.

The spec of my PC is as follows -

I7 4770 + Gigabyte Gah81m motherboard + 16gb DDR 3 Ram

1TB SSD

Nvidia GTX 950 2Gb GDDR5

I'm unsure where the bottleneck is that's causing the PC to stutter when capturing HDMI footage but at a bare minimum if I want to optimise my current set up I guess I'll need to upgrade the motherboard so I can at least use the Blackmagic card AND my Nvidia GPU. Also, my current board can only go up to 16gb RAM. Naturally I don't want to change the board only to find that doesn't fix the issue so I'm a bit unsure where to start. I have a modest budget to update the PC but don't really want to go north of £500 if poss

can anyone offer advice here please? I need a PC with enough ooomph to do the job without overkill ie spending 3 grand on an over the top PC

thanks in advance

Stephen

Jonathan Evans

Re: PC spec

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 10:46 pm

You might not get many replies as your subject line is a little vague and your problem is specific. You could do worse than a search by author for posts by "Eric-Jan" - he's very knowledgeable on the subject of VHS to digital conversion and has posted extensive "how to" examples.

Return to Getting Started