No Video/Audio from Playstation (PS4 and PS5) to Videohub

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

megachucky

No Video/Audio from Playstation (PS4 and PS5) to Videohub

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 9:22 am

Hello,

I am a new user of the BlackMagic Videohub. I use it in my home setup connecting Apple TV and several gaming consoles. Nintendo, Xbox, etc. work well.

Unfortunately, I do not get any video and audio signal out of my Playstations (both 4 and 5). I also tried different HDMI to SDI adapters (not just the original BlackMagic).

The adapters glow green continuously (not just blinking) when I connect to the console and turn it on. Looks like the adapter receives the signal but does not forward it to the videohub?

I see in other forum posts people use Sony consoles. So, it should work. Any hint or best practices how to solve this?

Thank you.

Andre Augustin

Re: No Video/Audio from Playstation (PS4 and PS5) to Videohu

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 6:49 pm

Turn off HDCP. If your using it to display media apps you will need to get an OREI HDMI splitter.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

megachucky

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 8:42 pm

HDCP is already deactivated. Did not work.

Do you think the adapter you mentioned would solve the issue?

megachucky

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 9:04 am

I checked it again. I can confirm that PS4 and PS5 work now after I turned HDCP off. Thanks a lot.

Which OREI HDMI Splitter should I buy to use media apps?

Eric-Jan

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 6:03 pm

Turning HDCP off on the PS will mostly disable any gameplay or copyrighted media, DHCP is there due to legal regulations, BMD only supports legal options. you can get banned from the BMD forum trying to hint options that are not legal.
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Andre Augustin

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 8:59 pm

HDCP is only used for media apps. If left on most capture devices will not allow for capture. There is a reason as to why the function has the ability to be turned on and off. Its so that one can capture the content. As someone who has produced several esports shows with PlayStation its common practice to disable this function as it will allow you to capture the console. Also DHCP is for network configs.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

Eric-Jan

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 11:30 am

Sorry, i made a spelling mistake, HDCP was what i meant, not DHCP, i've corrected this in my posting just now.
HDCP is always "on" on HDMI in consumer equipment, (if it doesn't have an option for this) that has a tuner to receive copyrighted media, or can play that media, this is not the case with component video output (YUV) that can transport the same resolution, but in some cases these outputs can not be used at the same time, one should check the manual in question, how to deal with these options, and what it means.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Andre Augustin

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 4:35 pm

Again, on PlayStation 4/5, there is an option that allow users to turn it off. What I am saying to do is an option they provide. From their manual on their website.

Here is a screenshot of the option on a retail PS4:

Here is a screenshot of the option on a retail PS5:

So again what I am suggesting is not illegal. Its an option.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

Eric-Jan

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 6:00 pm

It doesn't matter, your source, the PS5 has HDCP installed, BMD also has HDCP installed, every manufactor, is bound by the law to have it installed, by having it switched off, the game/media will not play, the way it works, is, that there is a handshake "action", even the resolution is set by a "handshake" if a specific resolution is not supported on one device, it doesn't work, or another resolution will be selected, if thats an option on both sides.
What you want can only be done on a non legal way, (like Andre Augustin already mentioned in post #2) which you won't/should not find in a BlackMagic Design forum section,
But you can Google for it ofcourse, gamers forums have info about that for you.

(I guess the post of the OP can be marked as "solved")

Andre Augustin

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 6:56 pm

Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

Eric-Jan

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 7:13 pm

Sorry for that Andre, no reason for you to get angry though, i thought you where using the splitter in your setup to cancel out HDCP.
Also, "to display" and "to capture" are two different "things"

Andre Augustin

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 8:09 pm

Its cool Eric. Its just that I keep saying its an option on the console. You kept telling me its not. Its cool. I am cool. Glad we can come to terms with it.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

Eric-Jan

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 8:19 pm

Andre Augustin wrote:Its cool Eric. Its just that I keep saying its an option on the console. You kept telling me its not. Its cool. I am cool. Glad we can come to terms with it.

Well, your PS5 screen capture tells also that it might not work for all games/media or apps, and that was not specified by the OP.

Return to Getting Started