video looks a bit "dull"

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mandreessen

video looks a bit "dull"

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 6:37 pm

Hey,
i try to accomodate to my very new BMPCC 4k. I went through some tutorials, read parts of the manual, waded a bit through this forum.
The colors do not look natural but a bit grey and a bit foggy. How can I distinguish between over-/underexposed and wrong white balance? Yes, I can fix it in post production but it's currently completely off the rails. I changed exposure and white balance and yes, it's different but only otherwise wrong.
Are there any examples for what it looks like when set wrong?
I know, the images get warmer for higher temperatures, but I am at 6500k (indoors, fluorescent lamps).

Thanks a lot for any hints
Mark

rNeil H

Re: video looks a bit "dull"

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 7:06 pm

Not nearly enough information, really. What format are you shooting in camera? Of the available options, ProRes or BRAW?

And if BRAW, are you working in Resolve, and using proper color management for that format?

It sounds like you're getting a log view of BRAW.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 8:42 am

In camera seems natural?
May be (like told from Neil) that you are see a Log file not developed.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

mandreessen

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 5:44 pm

Uuuh :oops:
It took some time to understand what you mean with "log view". But based on that info I found this one https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=100590 which fixed it. Only to see that my colors are a bit, how shall I put it, bright? :lol:
OK, so next try with more trust in bmpcc4k's white balance. My setting was obviously totally wrong. It's not a big deal, next time doing better.

Thanks a lot rNeil H and carlomacchiavello!

Eric-Jan

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 6:28 pm

What i understand as laymen, you need the settings of the BRAW recording, because a RAW format recording holds no meta data info ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

rNeil H

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 6:42 pm

If BRAW, in Resolve or Premiere, you go to the clip input adjustments where you can even choose the "gen" color science, and of course ISO, contrast, sat et al.

If ProRes but in log which BM calls "film" in the camera settings, you can normalize to say Rec.709 sequence either manually or by applying saved processing. LUT or whatnot.

There's ... options, of course!

mandreessen

Re: video looks a bit

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 6:53 pm

rNeil H wrote:If BRAW, in Resolve or Premiere, you go to the clip input adjustments where you can even choose the "gen" color science, and of course ISO, contrast, sat et al.

If ProRes but in log which BM calls "film" in the camera settings, you can normalize to say Rec.709 sequence either manually or by applying saved processing. LUT or whatnot.

There's ... options, of course!

Yes, that's what I did. I record in in braw and normalize to Rec.709.
My first try was to set the white balance so it looks "natural" without knowing about RCM. So 6500k instead of 3000k. Not a clever idea.
Using LUT is the next stop, one step at a time.

Thank you all!

Eric-Jan

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 7:00 pm

Maybe a start with using LUT's was a better first start, RAW file formats are quite large.. but maybe now, using LUT's will also be easier :)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 12:32 am

Go to davinci website, section training and start from video about color management and you could learn a bit of useful things for you first step ;-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Getting Started