Live video set up

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

AMW55

Live video set up

PostSun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 pm

I have a 2006 Mac Pro. I have upgraded the internal specs to the following: 20 GB of RAM, a 60 GB solid-state drive with a 250 GB hard drive for storage, a Radeon X1900xt video card, and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT.

This set up is used for a church. We have a modular encoder which receives a video signal from the Radeon video card. The modular encoder is made by ZeeVee and is a ZVPro280. This act as an HD encoder and RF transmitter. It has a lag of approximately one second.

The end result from the modular encoder is coaxial. Coaxial goes out to two 60 inch plasmas facing the congregation. Connectivity for the two plasmas are ethernet and coaxial. I have yet to obtain the schematics for the infrastructure layout so I do not know exactly where the end points are for those.

I'm hoping I can devise a HDMI/VGA over coaxial/CAT5 for the front two screens. Any recommendations on this? My plan is to split the VGA output from the computer, sending one to the audience screens via VGA over coaxial or CAT5 and sending the other to the modular encoder for the nursery, classrooms, digital recording, and LiveStream.

While on the topic; any recommendations on recording software for video or audio?

As of now, the lag is not a problem. We have to anticipate the latency and preemptively que the video. We use the coaxial to display the service to the nursery and classrooms.

I have a program on the Mac that streams live input from the soundboard and passes the audio along with the video to the modular encoder.

We are looking to introduce live video. We hope to be able to display live video to the audience, display live video to any TV in the building, project live video to the internet and record the video of the service, all while synchronizing the audio and video together.

My understanding is we need a capture device in order to input the video. We have yet to select a camera as we are awaiting consultation.

I intend to integrate the live video using our pre-existing software program: ProPresenter by Renewed Vision.

The question is: what is the best way to do live video and how much latency is there with each method?

I have two remaining PCIE slots. As explained in the proceeding article, my machine's PCIE slots have imposed limitations. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2838
How would this affect A PCIE capture card?

As this machine does not support USB three, I assume the only solution for live video would be a PCI E card.

Thanks so much for your time and help! All input is appreciated!

Return to Getting Started