HyperDeck Shuttle and CalDigit T1 Thunderbolt

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

JoBlaze

HyperDeck Shuttle and CalDigit T1 Thunderbolt

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 12:55 pm

I would like to know whether it is possible to take a HyperDeck Shuttle formatted SSD with footage and stick it into a CalDigit T1 thunderbolt unit to transfer that footage onto my mac?
Thanks for the help

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: HyperDeck Shuttle and CalDigit T1 Thunderbolt

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 4:49 pm

It's going to depend on how the T1 handles drives when they are inserted into its dock. The HyperDeck accepts SSDs that are formatted in the HFS+ or exFAT formats, which allows the SSDs to be docked directly to the computer or via something like a Thunderbolt sled. It looks like the T1 is supposed to allow you to move drives from T1 to T1, but is there any kind of special formatting that has to take place to allow the SSD to be useable by that hardware? If the T1 will accept the SSD in the HFS+ or exFAT format as is without trying to reformat the drives upon insertion, I think it could work, but you'll probably want to contact the folks at CalDigit to determine how drives are handled when they're inserted into that hardware.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

JoBlaze

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Thank you Sarah,
I thought as much.
I've written to them as well but am still to get a reply. Just thought that it might be an issue that you fine folks at BMD already had to deal with.
Cheers,

JoBlaze

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 pm

One more thing,
If that option happened to be difficult, is there a configuration that you could recommend to get the footage off the HDS and onto iMac via thunderbolt?
I was considering the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter after searching through this Forum.
But I just figured that with the T1 I could use it for storage and transfers.
Cheers,

Return to Getting Started