ThunderBolt on an iMac, something doesn't add up for me.

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

AlexLOGIC

ThunderBolt on an iMac, something doesn't add up for me.

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

I can see how iMac's and the thunderbolt connection can work well for live streaming. However, because the iMac cannot take a video card, and because iMac's have a limited hard drive size, wouldn't it make sense if the thunder bolt connection had it's own input compression options?

I was hoping to use some combination of an iMac and Black Magic product to simultaneously uprez SD to HD and also upload to my iMac as well. However, I want to avoid uncompressed HD files on the iMac as that will take up too much hard drive space.

Would the Black Magic Intensity work with my iMac?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: ThunderBolt on an iMac, something doesn't add up for me.

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 pm

As for uprezzing it won't do that. Your other post had an explanation of the product to use. You could use the Teranex2D to scale the video input and capture that video as ProRes on the iMac. It's about 1/8th the size of uncompressed and still keeps good quality.

So instead of using an Intensity Shuttle/Extreme, you could do it all in one step with the Teranex2D
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

AlexLOGIC

Re: ThunderBolt on an iMac, something doesn't add up for me.

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Yes, and the phrase "Our Teranex 2D can do this this as well but it might be a slight overkill for what you are looking to do" is something I agree with as well.

The problem is Joshua I spent a lot of money back then when everything cost ten times as much as now, and now I don't have it. I thought what I was buying back then was piece of mind that by creating a quality edit master then, in the future I could just bump it to whatever new format existed, through a box, and be good to go.

While 1,895 seems reasonable for all that you are offering, for me it is not an affordable option at the moment specifically because I did spend so much money in the past. I spent the money making the projects completely finished, so they would need the least amount of tweaking later on.

But this still doesn't get to the new point I was making. iMac's don't have a lot of hard drive space, so thunderbolt becomes dependent on outside product manufacturers to limit the data coming in, which is good for those who make such products, but not so good for those of us who actually have finished products and used our resources in the past to finish our work.

I guess it's a timing thing, I really have no desire to work in non linear editing because it changes so often, and I like the minimalist concept behind the mac mini. however, I could never use the video cards because they can't be placed inside a mac mini, other products did not include HD upscaling, and I like the idea of the tape master being the true master, and the digital copies generated from it would all be compressed versions.

It looks like your product does that, and more, lol, I just can't afford it.

Return to Getting Started