Daisy chaining Mini recorder and monitor

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

AlexR

Daisy chaining Mini recorder and monitor

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 6:15 pm

I want to convert my unencrypted compressed HD video files to 4:2:2 uncompressed SDI stream. I can stream the content to a decoder and play out of an HDMI interface to a TV. I was wondering if the HDMI output can be sent through a Mini Recorder and subsequently via Thunderbolt connection sent back out of a Mini Monitor via the SDI out port? Is there another product that can do this in one box?

Thanks,

Alex

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: Daisy chaining Mini recorder and monitor

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 pm

The Media Express software that utilizes both of these devices will only see one of them at a time. So you could capture using the Mini Recorder and then playback using the Mini Monitor, but if you want input and output to happen simultaneously, this wouldn't be an ideal setup.

There are two products that should do what you're looking to do in one box, depending on exactly what it is you're wanting to achieve. The first is the Mini Converter HDMI to SDI. This will be a standalone converter that won't require you to have a computer connected for the conversion.

However, if you want to capture the incoming HDMI video to your Thunderbolt computer and loop out via SDI, you could go with the UltraStudio Express. Using the Media Express software, you can set up to capture and simultaneously utilize the passive loop through on the device.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Getting Started