Hyperdeck and interlaced PAL recording codec ?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

oniongarlic

Hyperdeck and interlaced PAL recording codec ?

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 6:47 am

What is the recommended codec when recording SD, interlaced PAL, on a Hyperdeck (Studio HD Mini) so that interlacing is preserved for later fixing in Resolve ?
Check out my free and open software:
CutePocketRemote - https://www.tal.org/projects/cutepocketremote
CuteAtum - https://www.tal.org/projects/cuteatum

stephen_neal

Re: Hyperdeck and interlaced PAL recording codec ?

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am

The ProRes and Avid DNx codecs should all preserve interlace - h.264 may be a bit trickier - I've not tried it on a HyperDeck (though the h.264 codec can handle interlaced fine using three h.264 encoding routes - separate fields, PAFF and MBAFF)

I mainly use ProRes HQ and have had no issues capturing interlaced 1080/50i HD content from HD-SDI live sources, and 576/50i SD component stuff from DigiBeta decks. All stayed perfectly interlaced.

Eric-Jan

Re: Hyperdeck and interlaced PAL recording codec ?

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 am

You really don't need ProRes422HQ for SD 625 lines (576i) I'm using ProRes422LT to capture SD from an analog source,
the source does need to provide a stable signal, Only the Studio version of Davinci Resolve can de-interlace if needed
btw. what is your source ? the Hyperdeck only has SDI input, no analog input...
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started