Mini-Converter Analog to SDI

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

AlexLOGIC

Mini-Converter Analog to SDI

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 6:14 am

Mini Converter Analog to SDI

Can you explain this as the first step towards a compressed HD file? What additional boxes do I need as the signal leaves this box as SDI?

Esa Kranz

Re: Mini-Converter Analog to SDI

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 7:44 am

With this amount of input I can not imagine what you try to accomplish.
I will gamble a guess that you want to go from analog component High Definition video to a compressed (file?) format.
Have you checked this product:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/h264prorecorder/
It can take any analog or digital signal and turn it to H.264 compressed file recorded through its USB port.

But if you want to go from analog Standard Definition to high quality HD, then you should perhaps consider going for a Teranex2D:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex/

Notice the difference in prices?
You posted a question that can be answered by number of ways, please be more specific!
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

AlexLOGIC

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Esa Kranz wrote:With this amount of input I can not imagine what you try to accomplish.
I will gamble a guess that you want to go from analog component High Definition video to a compressed (file?) format.

Is there such a thing as analog component high definition video? Maybe digital betacam would fit that description, but I think that comes with a serial digital output, or is that an option and one needs to purchase a card?

I was curious if one converted a betacam sp component signal to SDI, could that SDI signal then be converted to pretty much anything by use of another small box?

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 4:46 am

AlexLOGIC wrote:Is there such a thing as analog component high definition video?

umm... yes... that would be called analog component high definition video. You get that format out of almost any bluray player or set top box and some cameras.

A Betacam deck will not likely be considered to be providing High Definition unless it happens to have an upscaler in it.

AlexLOGIC wrote:Maybe digital betacam would fit that description, but I think that comes with a serial digital output, or is that an option and one needs to purchase a card?

Maybe... as long as the deck upscales to HD resolutions. Yes... most will have SD-SDI output which is digital... but it's still not HD. Yes... you would need an SD-SDI capable input card. There are many available from Black Magic.

AlexLOGIC wrote:I was curious if one converted a betacam sp component signal to SDI, could that SDI signal then be converted to pretty much anything by use of another small box?

Yes... anything is possible. As has already been answered in many posts previously to your other questions... any of the boxes discussed that handle scaling will work just as well. Take your pick Alex.

However... if what you have is analog component at SD resolutions... then you don't need to add yet another box to convert to SD-SDI. It's pointless. You already have a high quality analog signal from your betacam deck. Just feed that in as a source to any of the analog component inputs that exist on the appropriate black magic scalar/converters that have already been mentioned to you in the other posts that support analog component input.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

AlexLOGIC

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:18 am

I see the cost/value of the Teranex 2d as being infinitely higher than using two small converter boxes to convert a betacam sp component signal to an upscaled HD signal.

However, it appears that two converter boxes could do what I need for half the money or less, and might be more realistic as a first step for me right now.

So I presume black magic makes an SDI to Hd upscaler converter box.

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:07 am

Alex. Take a look at the very first reply to your first question about your needs you posted days ago. That has the exact devices you need. It was answered by someone from black magic. For some reason you didn't like that answer then...something about being disrespected by black magic for not having the devices you expected at the price you wanted to pay.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started