Analog Video Glitch Machine + Final Cut

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

philyo

Analog Video Glitch Machine + Final Cut

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 1:15 am

Hi Forums,
I'm new here, so excuse the noob-ness.

I'm somewhat familiar with video (but mostly audio) editing and converting as I run an Audio recording studio in NYC.

But my girlfriend is a Video Artist, doing mostly stop motion work in Final Cut on a thunderbolt-enabled Mac.

I bought her an analog video processor/glitch machine called a Vortex Decoder for her birthday. It has RCA red-white-yellow in and RCA red-white-yellow out. This is old school stuff from the 80s.

I want to help her setup a workflow where she can output the signal from her Mac.
The workflow looks like this.
Mac > Red-Yellow-White RCA video+audio > Vortex Decoder >Red-Yellow-White RCA video+audio > Mac

I know I need to convert on both sides of the chain. The question is: what BlackMagic product is best for this workflow? I'd like to maintain as much quality as possible both going into, then coming out of, the Vortex Decoder.

Thanks!
Phil

Paul Provost

Re: Analog Video Glitch Machine + Final Cut

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 3:57 am

You can't play back and capture from the same computer at the same time. You will need two macs and two I/O boxes like the intensity shuttle.
Or play out to tape...
That's old school for you.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

philyo

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 4:48 am

hmmm...that makes some sense. Thanks Paul!

So I could use 2 macs (actually an option at the studio right now) or bounce down to another format (digital or otherwise).

So this would work, right?

Mac>instensity shuttle>Vortex Decoder>intensity shuttle>2nd Mac?

Is intensity shuttle the most affordable option for this workflow?

thanks,
Phil

philyo

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 5:43 am

Hi Paul (or anyone else reading),
I was about to purchase a couple of these but read there may be issues with the analog composite source and needing a TBC(time based corrector). A few reviews on B&H discuss this and seem to say that Black Magic said that it was true: the analog side of this device needs a TBC.

Would I need a TBC in the workflows Mac1>BMIT1>Vortex Decoder (or any analog video processor)>BMIT2>Mac2 ?

thanks,
Phil

Return to Getting Started