Intensity Shuttle not working with Video Cameras

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rhughes

Intensity Shuttle not working with Video Cameras

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 am

Hello

I have an Intensity shuttle USB 3 which works fine with HDMI in from a laptop and also a composite source. My problem though, is I only get a black screen when connecting a video camera into the HDMI in port.

When I try the different resolutions, some of them seem to pick up volume when using Media Express.

I have tried two different video cameras, both with the same black screen result.

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Thank you very much for your help,

Richard Hughes

Adam Simmons

Re: Intensity Shuttle not working with Video Cameras

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 3:37 pm

What is the resolution and frame rate coming from the camera? You can check this by plugging the camera directly into a TV and seeing what the TV thinks is being output.

Have you set the video input to match the camera in the BM control panel?
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

rhughes

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 am

Adbear wrote:What is the resolution and frame rate coming from the camera? You can check this by plugging the camera directly into a TV and seeing what the TV thinks is being output.

Have you set the video input to match the camera in the BM control panel?

My TV reports it is 1080p. When I look into the camera settings, it says 1920x1080p.

I plugged the camera into the HDMI in and the TV into the HDMI out of the Shuttle and then tried all of the HD resolutions, but the TV was black for each of them.

The video camera I am trying at the moment is a Canon Legria HF R56.

Thanks again for your help,

Richard

Adam Simmons

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Well I assume the camera is also outputting 1080p but higher than 30FPS, if that is the case then you can't capture it as the USB 3 shuttle supports 1080p up to 30, but not higher
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Stablesgh

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Your Canon is not one of those cameras that outputs progressive video as interlaced, with pairs of identical fields representing the same instant in time, is it? This progressive segmented frame video causes many problems, and could be a factor here.

giuso71

PostSat May 17, 2014 5:19 pm

Hello to everybody
I'm totally Angry.
I bought BM Shuttle USB 3.0 to capèture Framebyframe with Camile X200 and all was ok, except Video Cam quality.Then i decided to buy Legria HF-r46 in order to improve the quality
Now i can't work cause the BM can't work with Legria, but i can't understand why.
I set BM Control Panel and match it with BM Capture Software setting, but nothing happens: the screen remains totally black.
Nowhere is written that some Videocam don't work with Blackmagic.
I wrote several mails to BM, i phone from Italy to England: no answer. BM doesn't look to be a serious Firm.
Canon says it's BM fault!!
Is there anyone that can help me???
Something to change, to test????
:evil:

giuso71

PostMon May 19, 2014 11:56 am

Hello, i've a Legria Hf R46 and ShuttleuSB 3,0 doesnt work. the camera is connected via HDMI, i set the Control Panel and then the BM capture software, but nothing happens. If i connect a Toshiba Camile X200 all is ok. Someone help me??? :evil:

Adam Simmons

PostMon May 19, 2014 5:51 pm

First thing to do would be to connect the camera to a TV and see what it is actually outputting through the HDMI. Many cameras will always output 1080p50 even though the internal capture settings are set to 1080i50

Return to Getting Started