New capture and playout app by Medialooks

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Lance Lewis

Re: New capture and playout app by Medialooks

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Alex, sorry for my confusion. So if I understand you correctly I need to have a specific playback device such as one of the BM cards and then I will see the playback tab. I kind of thought that's what was going on but was hoping the software would simply let me playback to a second monitor in a similar way to what PowerPoint or propresenter does. Thanks for info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Alec MacLeod

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Alex_Bash wrote:
Lance Lewis wrote:I am excited to see how this app works in my workflow. When I installed it today, there was no playback tab. I am mostly interested in using it as a playback device, not as a capture device. Hoping that I can set it up to playback to a second monitor??? Thoughts on why I don't see a playback tab?

You don't see playback tab because your input device can't be used as output device. For example, for any web-camera there is no Playback tab.
When you switch to Playback tab the application switches your device into output mode. And if there is no such possibility the Playback tab is not displayed at all.

What device do you use?

Alec MacLeod wrote:Making any headway with the multiview button crash issue?

Please describe me more detailed how to reproduce this crash?

To start from the top...To use BM Media Express, I can start the application (media express), and then plug the usb3 output from the Intensity into the usb3 port on my asus g74 and get a picture in the capture tab. I can record and play back at that point. The sequence to make it work is to: start the application and then plug the usb3 into the computer. I have found no other way to do it (spent some time trying!).
When I first downloaded Direct Take, it worked first time without a problem, with the usb3 already plugged in. That was it...one success, no more. I have tried what I believe to be all the combinations possible with no success since that first time. I tried the latest release and multiview locks up the pc. One click and you are done. Is the first problem related to the second? I don't know. What kind of system are you having success with?
Alec MacLeod

adi

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 7:19 pm

At last a program that could play videos through BM Deck link 4k extreme.
I have been looking for something like that for long. BM app does not play all formats and cumbersome to handle. And i can not view or capture any 444 feed from my camera??!!
Now with this app I can. Thank you Medialooks

Alex_Bash

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:We've already explained how to get the crash in the past. You just click the button and it crashes

With my tests with UltraStudio Express, UltraStudio 4K and Decklink Extreme 3D it works correct as well as with web-cameras. What device do you use? Do you able to work with your device before click the button?
The main idea of MultiView button is to display all available live sources in a single preview window. So please check that you work on Capture tab (and not Playback one).

Adam Simmons

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 8:00 pm

A stable program shouldn't crash just because you click on a button. It does this on multiple systems under Win 7 Pro and Win 8.1.
I have a USB 3 shuttle, a webcam and a DV camera connected on my laptop and it crashes as soon as I click the multiview button. It also does the same on desktops with multiple devices connected. And I am on the capture tab
Last edited by Adam Simmons on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Jawad Malik

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Andrey Okunev wrote:The product is Windows only for now.

Hi,

Will there be a Linux version? We've had very good performance with Samba 4 over 10 Gbe, and a basic ingest capability would be helpful directly on the storage server. Using Black Magic Decklink Duo or Quad on PCIe.

Thanks.

Alex_Bash

PostFri Aug 08, 2014 12:30 pm

We are glad to introduce the newest version of Direct Take: http://rm.medialooks.com/downloads/126_beta
It has many changes and improvements within its core - MPlatform SDK.
We'll be glad to hear your feedback about a new version.

Jawad Malik wrote:
Hi,

Will there be a Linux version? We've had very good performance with Samba 4 over 10 Gbe, and a basic ingest capability would be helpful directly on the storage server. Using Black Magic Decklink Duo or Quad on PCIe.

Thanks.

Unfortunately at the moment Direct Take is Windows only. We have plans to make MPlatform on Linux (that makes it possible to port Direct Take on Linux too) in the future.

Adam Simmons

PostFri Aug 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Keeps crashing every time I try to open the software on a Win 7 Pro and Win 8.1 pro machine
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Alex_Bash

PostTue Aug 12, 2014 3:26 pm

With great help of Alec MacLeod the problem of crashing is fixed. With 3508 version it should work correct:
http://rm.medialooks.com/downloads/126_beta
With our test there is no more crashes on start and on Multiview button. And also the problems with preview should be fixed too.

Waiting for your feedbacks, guys.

Adam Simmons

PostTue Aug 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Well so far it's not crashing on opening or multiview :D

Any chance we might see an option to start and stop capture from all devices at once. I know some people who capture 3 streams of DV at the same time and would love to be able to start and stop capture from all 3 at the same time

Have had a chance to play around. I have noticed that the multiview seems a bit jittery and also makes all the images square.
Another thing I noticed is when you start the software up it defaults to my Intensity shuttle and doesn't let me change the input settings on the capture tab to match the source input from the shuttle. So it was defaulting to HDMI in when in fact I was using composite. The only way I could find to change it was to go into the playback settings and choose 'Add Live' which would then allow me to change the settings for the shuttle although of course as it's already a current device it doesn't allow you to start it but it does change the settings to the correct ones and when I go back to the capture tab I then have a signal

Alex_Bash

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for this question.
With the latest version of Direct Take there is no crashes with start the application and with MultiView button.
You can download it here: http://rm.medialooks.com/downloads/126_beta

As for settings for you Intensity Shuttle, to change the settings of the 1st device (or any another device among opened ones) you just need to double-click on its tab name to open settings window.

As for capturing from many sources, on Capture tab for your device there is "Start At" check-box and a field at the right of it. You should type a target time when you need to start capturing and check the "Start At" check-box. The capturing will be started on selected time. You can do it for all your opened devices and the capturing will start at the same time for all devices.
Also it is possible to stop capturing at the same time. Stop feature is not frame accurate at the moment but we plan to implement it soon.

As for MultiView, thanks for this information. We'll improve it with the next version of DirectTake.

Adam Simmons

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 3:03 pm

But using a 'Start at' option doesn't work for my clients, they'd like to just have the live feeds coming in and hit 'record all' and it then just starts them all recording at the same time

Lloyd Slapar

Re: Capturing with ProRes Codec

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 2:30 am

We've just downloaded and started testing some captures in ProRes with the application. The initial tests looked good but after further review there seems to be some sort of issue where the captured file has a dropped frame or something every so often. We're using the application with the DeckLink SDI 4K on a Windows 7 machine. Any ideas?

Also with the autodetect on the codecs are they different if say I select Quicktime first and then the ProRes codec?

Is there any way to keep the destination from defaulting to saving an .mp4 file. That's kind of annoying should default to nothing instead of a setting like that.

Is there a way that each file consecutively records with the same file name each time you start the recording?

Alex_Bash

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Lloyd Slapar wrote:We've just downloaded and started testing some captures in ProRes with the application. The initial tests looked good but after further review there seems to be some sort of issue where the captured file has a dropped frame or something every so often. We're using the application with the DeckLink SDI 4K on a Windows 7 machine. Any ideas?

- Please, contact our Support Center (http://rm.medialooks.com/support/). We will need additional technical information to assess the problem and find a solution.

Lloyd Slapar wrote:Also with the autodetect on the codecs are they different if say I select Quicktime first and then the ProRes codec?

- Thank you for the feedback and this feature will be implemented in the coming release of the Direct Take

Lloyd Slapar wrote:Is there any way to keep the destination from defaulting to saving an .mp4 file. That's kind of annoying should default to nothing instead of a setting like that.

- Would you porvide us with some more detail regarding the procedure you follow when you encounter this issue and what this feature you think should look like?

Lloyd Slapar wrote: Is there a way that each file consecutively records with the same file name each time you start the recording?

- Again, would you, please, provide more details. There is an option of consecutive recording if you select a max duration of a recording (e.g. recodring will be set at 1 min per file. Files will be consecutive with names: file.mov, file_001.mov, file_002.mov, etc.) If you mean something else, please forward your request to our Support Center.

Jerry Hatfield

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 12:50 pm

I'm not getting any crashes with 126, but I do get a an audio cut-out that runs in a cycle. You can see the VU meters drop out and return instantaneously.
The video looks fantastic and the capture plays back fine.
I am using the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 to capture and it works fine. I can capture the same clips into Media Express. Premiere Pro, and Edius 7 without the audio cut out issue.

Has this been reported and if so, is there a fix?

Alex_Bash

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 am

Jerry Hatfield wrote:I'm not getting any crashes with 126, but I do get a an audio cut-out that runs in a cycle. You can see the VU meters drop out and return instantaneously.
I am using the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 to capture and it works fine. I can capture the same clips into Media Express. Premiere Pro, and Edius 7 without the audio cut out issue.

Thanks for this report. Please describe me more detailed how to reproduce this issue with Direct Take?

Alex_Bash

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 am

Guys!

It would be great if you advice us how to improve Direct Take. What features would you recommend to add into Direct Take?
Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

Adam Simmons

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 am

The ability to start capturing from multiple live sources by clicking 1 button

Jerry Hatfield

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 5:55 am

Alex_Bash wrote:
Jerry Hatfield wrote:I'm not getting any crashes with 126, but I do get a an audio cut-out that runs in a cycle. You can see the VU meters drop out and return instantaneously.

Thanks for this report. Please describe me more detailed how to reproduce this issue with Direct Take?

1. I have a HDV camera connected to my Shuttle USB 3.0 by way of HDMI
2. I set up the capture process to use Prores at default settings
3. Set capture destination
4. Start Capture
It's a pretty straight forward process. It works within Premiere Pro, Edius 7, and Media Express without the audio issue. I will be clear on this. The capture process using Premiere, Edius or Meida Express, works perfectly without audio issues using their normal capture codecs.

If you need more details, I can create a video for you to watch. Just send me a URL by way of PM and I will upload the video.
Last edited by Jerry Hatfield on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alec MacLeod

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Jerry,

You can get a Prores capture in Premiere?

Al
Alec MacLeod

Mike Squires

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Alec MacLeod wrote:Hi Jerry,

You can get a Prores capture in Premiere?

Al

Not on a Windows machine, you can't.

Alec MacLeod

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 6:27 pm

I don't see the option to do DNXHD in Premiere either.
Alec MacLeod

Jerry Hatfield

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Alec MacLeod wrote:I don't see the option to do DNXHD in Premiere either.

No, I can't capture in Premiere with Prores or DNXHD.

My post was aimed at saying Medialooks had an audio capture issue when the other programs, using the same device and their codec options, did not.

Alec MacLeod

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Ahh, I see. When Mike popped in I thought it was a case of what a Mac would handle vs what a Pc would do.
Thanks for the clarification.
Alec MacLeod

Adam Simmons

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 am

Does this software allow for capturing of timecode through the SDI ref signal? I want to capture MXF D-10 using the Ultrastudio 4K but the timecode is separate through the ref signal so I want to be able to capture as an MXF D-10 with the timecode written into the MXF

Pat Cook

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 2:19 am

Jerry Hatfield wrote:
Alex_Bash wrote:

1. I have a HDV camera connected to my Shuttle USB 3.0 by way of HDMI
2. I set up the capture process to use Prores at default settings
3. Set capture destination
4. Start Capture
It's a pretty straight forward process. It works within Premiere Pro, Edius 7, and Media Express without the audio issue. I will be clear on this. The capture process using Premiere, Edius or Meida Express, works perfectly without audio issues using their normal capture codecs.

If you need more details, I can create a video for you to watch. Just send me a URL by way of PM and I will upload the video.

Hi Jerry,
When you say this... "The capture process using Premiere, Edius or Meida Express, works perfectly " ..are you actually saying that you can capture from your Shuttle with Edius?
I'm trying to get our shuttle to be recognized by Edius through the usb3 connection. Thanks.

Adam Simmons

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 6:59 am

What version of Edius are you using and what USB 3 controller do you have on your system?
I have no problems with output from Edius, but have found the capture side to be very flaky on a lot of different motherboards and USB 3 controllers

Pat Cook

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi Adam, thanks for the quick response.
We are using Edius 6.08. (We have no option to upgrade any further).
Our system has a NEC/Renasas usb3 host controller which I have updated to:
Renesas / NEC uPD720200 / 720200a USB3 Controller Drivers Version 2.1.39.0 WHQL
Media Express successfully records and plays back, but Edius does not see the shuttle as a usb3 source.

Adam Simmons

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Where are you looking in Edius? You would need to set up a new capture preset.
Also I'm not sure if the Shuttle was supported back then. I know it's only really had any stability in 7

Jerry Hatfield

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 3:12 pm

If you don't get the option under direct show when making your preset, then it won't work in Edius 6.x. I'm not sure but I think we got playout in 6.5x and capture and playout in 7.x with certain BM devices. In Edius 7 it actually shows up as the Intensity Shuttle when you are making the device preset.

Pat Cook

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Ok thanks gentlemen.
I was holding out hope that this note under the version 6.06 update:
"Updated USB-Serial driver bundled with a disc to the latest version."
...actually referred to usb3.
I see no reference to directshow when in the add presets window just the old NX card and an OHCI option.

We do have premiere pro available so I guess we'll have to go that route although I'm sorry to have to leave Edius. It did everything we needed and was very stable.

Thanks again,
Pat

Adam Simmons

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Jerry Hatfield wrote:If you don't get the option under direct show when making your preset, then it won't work in Edius 6.x. I'm not sure but I think we got playout in 6.5x and capture and playout in 7.x with certain BM devices. In Edius 7 it actually shows up as the Intensity Shuttle when you are making the device preset.
It was the other way round, we could capture with the Intensity Pro from around 6.06 but playout was only brought in in 7.
What BM driver are you using?
Last edited by Adam Simmons on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Cook

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 3:45 pm

I am off-site at the moment but I think it was 10.1.
I have downloaded a selection of other drivers to try. Is there one version you might recommend?

Adam Simmons

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Don't use the V10, especially with Edius 6

Would it be possible for a Moderator to move this to it's own thread?

Cheers

Pat Cook

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Ok thanks Adam. I'll give a 9 series version a try just to be thorough.
I now have a selection of forum comments to work from:

"I'd stick with the 9.9.6 drivers for now with Edius"

"Do not use the latest drivers for the shuttle. use 9.7.5 or earlier. the 9.7.7 drivers are broken for use with the USB 3 shuttle."

"OK. Now working good. Just uninstall 9.7.7 and install 9.6.7. All problems gone. Beta testing is good practice:)"

"I have 9.8 on both my Intensity Pro and Shuttle. 9.7.7 was horrible. Whatever they did to 9.7.7 is fixed in 9.8."

Jerry Hatfield

PostWed Sep 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:
Jerry Hatfield wrote:If you don't get the option under direct show when making your preset, then it won't work in Edius 6.x. I'm not sure but I think we got playout in 6.5x and capture and playout in 7.x with certain BM devices. In Edius 7 it actually shows up as the Intensity Shuttle when you are making the device preset.
It was the other way round, we could capture with the Intensity Pro from around 6.06 but playout was only brought in in 7.
What BM driver are you using?

All of the version run together. I couldn't remember if we got something in 6.x or not. I new there was a component add in 6.5x....I just couldn't remember. It works the best in Edius 7.

Pat Cook

PostWed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Jerry,
I installed the USB 3.0 Desktop Video Installer 7.9.4.msi yesterday onto our tower as it only has 32 bit Win7.
This did get us to the point where we can see the input and output to our Atem switcher when recording with Edius but we can't play out off the timeline. (BMD play out not an option. Just OHCI and NX card with SD and HDV.

Upon installing Prem Pro 4.2, we were able to capture the same way, again with no play out off the timeline but had play out from the player window. (BMD Playback is an option. Just not off the timeline I guess.)
This would be workable but now there's an issue where the recordings are stopping after about 4 sec so will wrangle with that today.
Our back up was going to be install everything on the 64bit laptop but it turns out that it does not have a renasas usb3 controller so we're hooped there.

Thanks for all your help and sorry to hijack this topic. :(

Edius 6.08
Premiere Pro 4.2
Win 7 32 Bit

Pavel Romanyuk

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 10:36 am

Good afternoon! It is necessary to make that Medialooks saved settings of a choice of the video parameters and audio in the PlayBack mode. Very much there is no visual trimer of files! For the rest excellent decision!

Alec MacLeod

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Any updates coming soon?
Alec MacLeod

Alex_Bash

PostSat Oct 11, 2014 9:30 am

Hi guys! Thanks for your interest in this application.

Soon there will be a big update for Direct Take. We'll post a separated article about new features.

And I'd like to ask you about multiple start of capturing. How would you prefer to start it? There are 2 ways to make it:
1. Start by click a button immediatelly. In this case capturing will be started, but not sync for all the devices.
2. Sync start of capturing, but after a some time after click the button, for example, 1 minute.

What do you think?

leoneed27

PostSat Oct 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi Alex!
Do you plan to add multichannel (16-channel) audio to your application? Does it support RS-422 control?
Thanks in advance,
Leoneed.

Alex_Bash

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 10:36 am

The application should works correct with 16 channel audio. Do you have any problems with it?
As for RS-422 control, at the moment it is not supported.
I'll add image sequences support to Direct Take. And also ability to rotate video to left and to right on 90 degrees.
I'd like to know from you what features do you need so I'd implement it in Direct Take, or Medialooks will improve MPlatform. Any feedbacks are welcome!

Adam Simmons

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am

Alex_Bash wrote:Hi guys! Thanks for your interest in this application.

Soon there will be a big update for Direct Take. We'll post a separated article about new features.

And I'd like to ask you about multiple start of capturing. How would you prefer to start it? There are 2 ways to make it:
1. Start by click a button immediatelly. In this case capturing will be started, but not sync for all the devices.
2. Sync start of capturing, but after a some time after click the button, for example, 1 minute.

What do you think?

Would it be possible to do number 2, but with a shorter time delay, or to be able to enter your own delay manually?

Jörg Rode

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 am

Hi Guys,
I tried the Playout of Direct Take and have probably found one bug.
I got 11 Files in the Playlist allway Intro and Loop. I set the loop for every loopfile and saved the playlist.
After playing around (start / Stop) sometimes he looses the Loop programming of some clips.

A Pause on end Button would be nice for each clip and are there somewher a tutorial of how to use und set the parameter for each clip?
Also, is there a possibillity to change the fieldorder of the clips?

Very nice Job! Gread peace of Software, Guys.
Best
SF

Jakub Jagersky

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 am

Hello,

Please, can someone confirm, that DirectTake is able to work witk Blackmagic Mini Monitor?
It always crashes with this card, with classic Decklink card it works fine.
It looks like DirectTake expects Playout/Capture device, not only Playout ...

Thanks

Jakub

Ray Pessey

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi,

I just got that new Decklink SDI 4K card with the desktop video 10.2.2. I notice it does not work with the current version of direct take in SD mode. Only HD works. And there is no desktop preview in the window as well. Am I the only one or some else can confirm this ?

Raymond.

Adam Simmons

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Have you changed your settings in the BM control panel to match your input?

Jakub Jagersky

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 am

Hi
I have no input, MiniMonitor is only output device.

After fresh install or after deleting settings I can get into settings, but it's set correctly. Input is greyed and output settings ther is set to Blackmagic Mini Monitor. When I tried to change something it crashes (Program stopped working ...). When I tried to start DirectTake again, it crashed during start with the same message (Program stopped working...) and after then I got bluescreen.

Thanks for help.
Jakub

Adam Simmons

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 pm

My question was to Ray Pessey, the post before mine

João Miguel

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 am

Hi!

The application is great!

In playback mode is possible to freeze at last frame of a clip or stop without playing the next file?

Is possible to store application settings? (when i exit the app and open again i have to set everything again)

Is possible to disable audio monitor?

Is there any support for XDCAM EX 35 in HD?

Thanks and keep the good work :D
PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started