New capture and playout app by Medialooks

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

JoaoSantos

Re: New capture and playout app by Medialooks

PostSat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi!

The application is great! i have same questions/suggestions:

Is possible to save settings? every time that i open the software i have to setup all again. (video mode, video device settings, audio settings and codecs)

Is possible in playback mode to play single clip and freeze at the last frame?

Is possible to have a countdown timecode counter in playback mode and a timecode counter in capture mode? HH:MM:SS:FF

Is possible to save capture presets?

There is any xdcam ex 35 codec? (in beta version xdcam 422 is missing in mxf codecs)

there is any support of mxf op1a? and AVC-Intra?

Is possible to disable the monitor audio and save? if i have enable i have audio problems in playback mode. so every time i open the software i have to mute it.

Is possible to auto name captured files without the need to put a name before capture?

Is possible to add a action after captured file, for example copy or move the file to other location?

Thanks, the software is the best free one that i have used! :D

Stéphane Kies

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Hello,

We did some test with two cameras and we have some jitter (drop frame) when recording two 1080p50 signals.

It works fine with 1080p50 and 4k24

Setup is
Hp z820 dual xenon quad core 3,5 ghz
Two titan black and one k4000
Ultrastudio 4k TB and decklink 4k installed in a sonnet echo rack
Disk used is a z turbo drive pci express (950 MB/s)

We capture in prores.
Do you have any idea, we cannot identify the bottle neck

Nir Cohen

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Alex_Bash wrote:Hi guys! Thanks for your interest in this application.

Soon there will be a big update for Direct Take. We'll post a separated article about new features.

And I'd like to ask you about multiple start of capturing. How would you prefer to start it? There are 2 ways to make it:
1. Start by click a button immediatelly. In this case capturing will be started, but not sync for all the devices.
2. Sync start of capturing, but after a some time after click the button, for example, 1 minute.

What do you think?

Hello Alex,
Thank for the great work and for the amazing Direct take.
We must choose the first option . If the sync error is 2 frames, its just fine for all my clients, but one key for capturing at list 2 devices is a huge must.
Also is there a hotkey for capture?

JoaoSantos

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 8:55 am

Alex_Bash wrote:Hi guys! Thanks for your interest in this application.

Soon there will be a big update for Direct Take. We'll post a separated article about new features.

And I'd like to ask you about multiple start of capturing. How would you prefer to start it? There are 2 ways to make it:
1. Start by click a button immediatelly. In this case capturing will be started, but not sync for all the devices.
2. Sync start of capturing, but after a some time after click the button, for example, 1 minute.

What do you think?

Hi!

Any news about the update?
This application is very good!

Thanks

Alex_Bash

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi guys!

Sorry for late reply.

Stéphane Kies, try to check this issue with non Xenon processor. We recommend to use Intel i7 processors.

We need to discuss the future of Direct Take with our management. So soon there will be good news with great update for Direct Take. Many interesting features are implemented already (including absolute Sync start for all the devices) and they are just waiting for a release.

Alex_Bash

PostFri Nov 28, 2014 10:22 am

Hi guys!

At the moment we are working on implementation of Deck control feature to Direct Take.
We have an interface for this but unfortunately we have no such device to test this feature.
If someone has a device with deck control feature and would like to help us to improve Direct Take it would be great.
I can create and send to you a test application with this feature and you will check it and inform me about the work (is it work at all) and about required control elements (for example, what buttons should be added: Play, Stop, Frame Back, Frame Forward etc.).

Waiting for your replies.

And thank you all for your interest in Direct Take.

Alec MacLeod

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Deck control doesn't appear to be high on the list of features folks want (could be wrong). Getting things set in the app to enable one click capture with all the parameters where you want them is a biggie for me.
Alec MacLeod

Alex_Bash

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks. The Sync Start for all the capture tabs is implemented already. It is even absolutely sync start (frame-accurate). You will need to stop each tab separately. This feature just waits for a release. That will be very soon.

The new feature (that some people requested) is DeckControl. So we need someone to help us to implement this feature.
Do you have such device, Alec MacLeod?

Alec MacLeod

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 6:42 pm

That question reminds me of how much time has passed since recording tape left my life. Everything I used to have with serial control or even lanc ports is long gone. Every thing I do now is pc based. I suppose some of my cameras have IR ports, but that's it. I'm sure some folks have a heavy investment in tape based stuff, but as time moves along that will surely change.
Alec MacLeod

Vinko Lukac

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 6:44 am

Hallo! Very well feature in Multiview would be resizing multiview window and all input source view in any line (example: four source in one line or four source in two line...) and hiding main window to the taskbar line.
Last edited by Vinko Lukac on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

marc.doermann

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Just had a look so far, made no recordings so far.
It is possible to record ProRes on a Windows based machine?
Is it possible to add some of the standard presets for ProRes f.e.:
ProRes 422 (LT) - ProRes 422 - ProRes 422 (HQ)

Alec MacLeod

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 pm

I've recorded the Prorez selection on a win 7 and win 8.1 machine and it appears to be the real deal. Only one preset...don't know how to select any of the varied flavors...same with Dnxhd...works but I can't figure out the different bit rates and bit depth selections or if there are any different selections available.
Alec MacLeod

Alec MacLeod

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Alex_Bash wrote:Thanks. The Sync Start for all the capture tabs is implemented already. It is even absolutely sync start (frame-accurate). You will need to stop each tab separately. This feature just waits for a release. That will be very soon.

The new feature (that some people requested) is DeckControl. So we need someone to help us to implement this feature.
Do you have such device, Alec MacLeod?

Hi Alex,

Is there a document that covers the apps controls and codec selection? I'm most interested in the Prores and Dnxhd settings (10 bit, 8 bit, different bit rates). A "how to do this/how to do that" kinda thingy. Thanks!

Al
Alec MacLeod

Alex_Bash

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi guys!

Please answer on some questions regarding Direct Take: https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/17b5985
We need to discuss how to release a new version and your answer would be very useful for us.

Thanks for suggestion of resizing in Multiview. I'll think about how to implement it the best way.

As for documentation, thank you for this suggestion. I'll think about it. The application is complicated so it is required to describe some features in details.

Alex_Bash

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 2:49 pm

As for resizing - I add a possibility to resize all items in multiview window. You will be able to set it according your wishes. And then switch back to default view.
Will do the feature of hiding to tray with some settings of the application for this.

Alec MacLeod

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 3:11 pm

I'd be happy with settings that stay set, auto increment for each capture and a manual. Just a brief description of each feature. I want a "push one button" record when I set up at a shoot. The application is very close to perfect now!
Alec MacLeod

Alex_Bash

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Well, auto increment is implemented. Now I have finished the work on Multiview - It is possible to resize and also get information from what device a part from preview is coming (by tooltip). Also the main window is hidden and muted until the Multiview is enabled.
Now I plan to add some hotkeys to the application. What would you suggest to add?
When I finish this step (until there is no one with DeckControl device) I'll start to make a description of Direct Take features.

Alec MacLeod

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm a simple man with simple ways...:)
I use the the app to record so a basic start/stop is all I need.
Alec MacLeod

Hunter Anderson

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 4:46 pm

I just downloaded the app onto a new computer (Win 8.1), and get "No Video Signal" in the capture window. I was not getting anything in Media Express either on Friday, but came in Monday morning and I now have video through ME, still nothing on Direct Take. There are several System Event Log entries from WindowsUpdateClient over the weekend, so I'm guessing one of the updates fixed whatever was not working in ME. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot Direct Take?

Alec MacLeod

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Would it be possible to add Cineform to the codecs supported by Direct take?
Alec MacLeod

Hunter Anderson

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Someone mentioned in another thread that Direct Take will not work with the ATEM Television Studio because it uses a proprietary BMD codec. Can someone with Medialooks verify this?

Alex_Bash

PostWed Dec 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi guys!

Yes, ATEM is not supported at the moment. It will be implemented in the future.

We have discussed some new features and I have implemented them:
1. With the next version it will be possible not even make sync start encoding for all the open devices but by using application settings you will be able to stop the encoders in sync too. The setting allows you to decide what you prefer - to stop each of the encoders separately when you need it or to stop them all in sync.

2. It will be possible to make capturing to several destinations from one device. Also everything in sync - start and stop. For example, you will be able to start encoding to a file with good quality, to file with poor quality and stream it to network at the same time.

3. A possibility to make a post-capturing action. When file capturing is over you are able to set the application to copy or to move the file to some destination.

What do you think about these features?

Hunter Anderson wrote:I just downloaded the app onto a new computer (Win 8.1), and get "No Video Signal" in the capture window. I was not getting anything in Media Express either on Friday, but came in Monday morning and I now have video through ME, still nothing on Direct Take. There are several System Event Log entries from WindowsUpdateClient over the weekend, so I'm guessing one of the updates fixed whatever was not working in ME. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot Direct Take?

Can you please describe me more detailed what device do you use? Make sure that you use the latest version of Blackmagic drivers for your device.

Vinko Lukac

PostWed Dec 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi!

I have some questions:

1. Its possible to implement Direct take Multiview window in my own visual basic windows form?
2. When will new version of Direct take be released?
3. Which codecs will be integrated for simultaneous Play and Record of video?

Best, Vinko

Hunter Anderson

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 3:35 pm

Alex_Bash wrote:Hi guys!

Yes, ATEM is not supported at the moment. It will be implemented in the future.

Hunter Anderson wrote:I just downloaded the app onto a new computer (Win 8.1), and get "No Video Signal" in the capture window. I was not getting anything in Media Express either on Friday, but came in Monday morning and I now have video through ME, still nothing on Direct Take. There are several System Event Log entries from WindowsUpdateClient over the weekend, so I'm guessing one of the updates fixed whatever was not working in ME. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot Direct Take?

Can you please describe me more detailed what device do you use? Make sure that you use the latest version of Blackmagic drivers for your device.

I think you answered my question. I am using an ATEM Television Studio.

Alex_Bash

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Finally the new version is released!

It is now available here: http://rm.medialooks.com/downloads/126_beta

Now all the features are available. It is open till January 30, 2015. Until this time you can use Direct Take and check all its features.
We want to hear your feedback about the application and get any suggestions and your requirements for the application.
Please send your reports to our support system - http://www.medialooks.com/support/

Hope that you'll like new Direct Take.

Alec MacLeod

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Alex_Bash wrote:Finally the new version is released!

It is now available here: http://rm.medialooks.com/downloads/126_beta

Now all the features are available. It is open till January 30, 2015. Until this time you can use Direct Take and check all its features.

Hope that you'll like new Direct Take.

On my tablet for the day, can't see the down load till I get to my pc. There is a cost after january? How much?
Alec MacLeod

Andrey Okunev

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Alec, we are still deciding. Once we have the number, we'll let you know. Most likely, there will be a free and a Pro version.

Alec MacLeod

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Andrey Okunev wrote:Alec, we are still deciding. Once we have the number, we'll let you know. Most likely, there will be a free and a Pro version.

OK...fair enough. Any chance of a manual explaining controls, dialog boxes for fine tuning? I don't want to press my luck here...:)
Alec MacLeod

Hunter Anderson

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Alec MacLeod wrote:... Any chance of a manual explaining controls, dialog boxes for fine tuning? I don't want to press my luck here...:)

Just a suggestion, but if you could make an online wiki that users could edit and contribute to, you could probably end up with some usable documentation pretty quickly.

Alex_Bash

PostWed Dec 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi guys!

It will take a time to create a valid documenation for Direct Tale.
So I have created a PDF with short guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-0TG ... sp=sharing

Alec MacLeod

PostWed Dec 24, 2014 6:08 pm

I get a violation of terms of service mssg when I click on the link. Im sure its my error, but I dont know what to do.
Alec MacLeod

Adam Simmons

PostWed Dec 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Not just you, I get it as well.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Alex_Bash

PostThu Dec 25, 2014 8:54 am

Hi! It seems that Google thinks about commercial use of the file.
Here is another link
http://www.docdroid.net/nquw/direct-tak ... e.pdf.html

Also Alec MacLeod got in contact with me so I'll send the PDF to him.
Later we'll upload the file to our static server.
Last edited by Alex_Bash on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex_Bash

PostThu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 am

Vinko Lukac wrote:Hi!

I have some questions:

1. Its possible to implement Direct take Multiview window in my own visual basic windows form?
2. When will new version of Direct take be released?
3. Which codecs will be integrated for simultaneous Play and Record of video?

Best, Vinko

1. MultiView window is part of the application so you can't add it to your form.
2. It is released already.
3. Play and Record (we call it Play-while-Rec) feature is possible for all the available codecs.

Also, we have upload Guide to our server: http://www.medialooks.com/files/brochur ... _guide.pdf

Nuel Oyebade

PostThu Dec 25, 2014 10:46 am

I downloaded the Medialooks app and I must say it is a very good solution.

I ran on playback using my Decklink 4K Extreme Card using the eMVF HD formats and it worked fine, However, using the eMVF PAL option for a 576i output shows no display. It comes up with a black on my SDi monitor. However in capture mode, it displays quite well.

Is there something I am not doing right or there is a work around with this?

Thanks.

Alex_Bash

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 8:35 am

Nuel Oyebade wrote:I downloaded the Medialooks app and I must say it is a very good solution.

I ran on playback using my Decklink 4K Extreme Card using the eMVF HD formats and it worked fine, However, using the eMVF PAL option for a 576i output shows no display. It comes up with a black on my SDi monitor. However in capture mode, it displays quite well.

Is there something I am not doing right or there is a work around with this?

Thanks.

Thank you for this report. There is a known issue for 4K cards (such as Decklink 4K Extreme) for PAL resolution. It requires 10bit-conversion for video. I'll add this feature to application settings - so it will be improved soon.

Alec MacLeod

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 1:04 am

It's been a while...anything shaking?
Alec MacLeod

Alex_Bash

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi, guys!

Sorry for this long silence. It almost ready. You can check the last version here and it is still developed:
http://rm.medialooks.com/downloads/126
We have added some more great features to Direct Take. It is only 10 days left before the open version will be expired. I'll inform you about any news.

Alec MacLeod

PostWed Mar 11, 2015 1:21 pm

?
Alec MacLeod

Alec MacLeod

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 5:53 pm

is this app dead?
Alec MacLeod

Steve Caesare

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 3:58 am

I've just started playing with this app too, and I thank the Medialooks folks who have made the free version available.

I found this when looking for an alternative to BMD's MediaExpress for my project of transferring Hi8mm tapes to H.264.

In MediaExpress I needed to use MJPEG to get the data rate/filesize down to where I could capture. My subsequent transcodes to H.264 had artifacts that appeared to be interlacing artifacts that I could not tune out of the workflow, regardless of what interlacing options I tried. Audio sync was perfect, however

As I had not gotten this issue when using HuffYUV with previous capture device, I am trying DirectTake and using HuffYUV to avoid compressing twice... however the audio now drifts by about 1-2 seconds over the 2 hour video. This didn't happen with MediaExpress/MJPEG.

Given that it's the same tape captured by the same hardware, and I only experience the issue with DirectTake/HuffYUV, I have to assume the problem is one of those.

Has anybody captured 2-hr sessions with DirectTake and an Intensity Pro using analog inputs and not had drift? If so, what was your configuration?

Thanks.

Alex_Bash

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Sorry guys for this long silence.
We are preparing a new version. At the moment by the same link the new version (for March) is available: http://rm.medialooks.com/downloads/126
We are working on improvements for Direct Take and soon the final release will be ready.

Steve Caesare, can you please contact with me into our support system: http://www.medialooks.com/support/
I can't solve the issue with a single answer so we need to research the async problem together. The reason may be not in HuffYUV, but somewhere in the core components of the application. Please go to support and we'll try our best to solve this issue before release.

Steve Caesare

PostSun Mar 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Thanks, I've submitted a support issue.

So I've also tried MJPEG in DirectTake, and the audio problem remains, so apparently it's not HuffYUV. What's more the default parameters an/or the MJPEG implementation direct take is using is horribly blocky. Significantly more so than that in BMD's MediaExpress at the same rate.

Tony Hernandez

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 12:14 am

Andrey Okunev wrote:We found the problem (thanks to Adbear). Please download the latest version:

http://www.medialooks.com/downloads/126/

Crashes

" Nombre del evento de problema: APPCRASH
Nombre de la aplicación: MedialooksDirectTake.exe
Versión de la aplicación: 2.1.0.0
Marca de tiempo de la aplicación: 54f0a5cf
Nombre del módulo con errores: MPlaylistPXT.dll
Versión del módulo con errores: 1.5.3.12694
"

I downloaded 2.1.0.4388 and on start it crashes. Any news ?

Last edited by Tony Hernandez on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Hernandez

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 12:20 am

Alex, will you be able to develop the app with the option for fullscreen preview video window ?. This may help to users of our upcoming portable video recorder computer http://www.cinemartin.com/next

Tony Hernandez

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 12:24 am

Before error screen a pop up windows tells
"Sorry, but your license has expired! You need to obtain a new license
.."

Any comment ?

Tony Hernandez

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 10:48 am

TOO MUCH PROBLEMS WITH THIS SOFTWARE COMPANY
After installed their non-working software due to license expirated message (when they never said thats a licensed app), AFTER UNINSTALLED IM UNABLE TO RECORD ANYTHING. AND I SEE THAT ON MY COMPUTER REMAINS A Direct Take Decklink card_name_model on my computer

SO WHY A UNINSTALLER ? WHy if do not uninstall what thery installed ?

A company that sells licenses starting at 5000€ !! and we tried and do not work for almost basic features.

We spent too much time with this company.
Im sorry but i cannot reccomend spending time with this company, their software does not work and will you take too much time ..

Adam Simmons

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Not sure why you would expect any comment today, and especially only after 11 hours. It's Good Friday, so most companies aren't working today.

Also the price per channel is $500 not 5000Euros, although even at $500 I wouldn't pay for it as I think it's way overpriced.

They've also been saying for while that it's a trial version and that they intended to charge.

I do get the same problem about the license expiry and it then crashing
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Tony Hernandez

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:the price per channel is $500 not 5000Euros

NO, on their site they state license for single developer for MEncode MPlatform or some of its confusing names is 4.995€ per single developer, plus a lot of thousands in addons and other hostories.. and twice the price for team development .. really crazy

http://www.medialooks.com/mplatform/prices/

Single Developer license

MPlatform SDK - 4,950.00 euro
Decoder lib - 2,500.00 euro
Encoder lib - 2,500.00 euro
Closed Captions lib - 2,500.00 euro
MComposer - 3,750.00 euro
Chroma Key plugin - 1,950.00 euro
Flash Overlay plugin - 950.00 euro

Team license

MPlatform SDK - 8,950.00 euro
Decoder lib - 3,750.00 euro
Encoder lib - 3,750.00 euro
Closed Captions lib - 3,750.00 euro
MComposer - 5,650.00 euro
Chroma Key plugin - 2,950.00 euro
Flash Overlay plugin - 1,450.00 euro
Last edited by Tony Hernandez on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Hernandez

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 2:36 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:They've also been saying for while that it's a trial version and that they intended to charge.

On their directtake website
http://blog.medialooks.com/8m1X56/

they said

The app is available as a free download starting today and features our character generator as an optional plugin.

So, no free ? only free to download then paid for use ?? why not statements ? this is a bad practice.. so again .. bad company do not spend 1 minute with that, unless they completely update their site stating what are they offering and give us some comments here, but again, you user if come to here you can see whats happen with that astronomical company
PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started