Intensity Pro or Intensity Shuttle?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

OUTFOXEM

Intensity Pro or Intensity Shuttle?

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm looking into getting the Intensity Pro to record Xbox 360 and PS3 gameplay. That seems pretty simple and straight-forward. However, in order for me to hear 5.1 sound in my headset while playing and recording, I need to use a TOSLINK connection that runs to my headset's receiver.

From my understanding, the Intensity Pro can output S/PDIF audio. If that's true, I can record both video and audio over HDMI, then use the S/PDIF output back to my headset. My only concern would then be lag. Is there any known lag from input to output on the card?

Also, is the Intensity Pro's S/PDIF output stereo, or 5.1? I see the Intensity Pro's specs say 2 channel output for S/PDIF, which is usually standard along with compressed 5.1, but can it output compressed 5.1? Or would I be better off getting the Shuttle instead and then use a converter for the HDMI audio out to optical?

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by OUTFOXEM on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

OUTFOXEM

Re: Recording HDMI video & optical audio with Intensity Pro

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 am

Anybody?

Mike Squires

Re: Intensity Pro or Intensity Shuttle?

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:35 pm

There are a couple of issues.

1. Both the X-Box and PS3 enable HDCP over HDMI, which neither Intensity will accept.

2. Neither Intensity will accept Dolby Digital over HDMI or spdif, only pcm audio.

OUTFOXEM

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Mike Squires wrote:There are a couple of issues.

1. Both the X-Box and PS3 enable HDCP over HDMI, which neither Intensity will accept.

2. Neither Intensity will accept Dolby Digital over HDMI or spdif, only pcm audio.

Well there are ways to get around HDCP, or even to simply use component instead of HDMI. My main concern was recording 5.1 sound while being able to hear it. But it looks like I'll have to use a 3rd party device to downmix the audio before it hits the Intensity. Disappointing indeed.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Dennis Sädtler

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:02 pm

The XBOX 360 has HDCP disabled while in Game or Dashboard mode, it only activates HDCP when playing back Video. The PS3 (except for Test-Kits) has HDCP enabled at all times.

The XBOX360 will output Stereo Audio via RCA even if the digital (Optical) output is set to 5.1.
It seems to me that with the latest Dashboard Update Microsoft restricted the 5.1 option to optical, HDMI also only uses Stereo.

OUTFOXEM

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Rodney wrote:

The XBOX 360 has HDCP disabled while in Game or Dashboard mode, it only activates HDCP when playing back Video. The PS3 (except for Test-Kits) has HDCP enabled at all times.

The XBOX360 will output Stereo Audio via RCA even if the digital (Optical) output is set to 5.1.
It seems to me that with the latest Dashboard Update Microsoft restricted the 5.1 option to optical, HDMI also only uses Stereo.

There's no way Microsoft would reduce HDMI to stereo in a dashboard update. It is however a fairly common problem for people to have issues getting 5.1 over HDMI, dating all the way back to the first HDMI-equipped Xbox 360's.

Here's a good thread on it, with fixes if you're having issues with 5.1 over HDMI:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/993204/my-xbo ... -over-hdmi

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Rodney wrote:It seems to me that with the latest Dashboard Update Microsoft restricted the 5.1 option to optical, HDMI also only uses Stereo.

Not that this helps with the issue, but this is not right. I get 5.1 out of my XBOX360 through HDMI all the time.

What neither Intensity will do is handle the encoded audio that come down the HDMI. Intensity will only handle PCM as was stated elsewhere in the thread.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

OUTFOXEM

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 1:19 am

I ended up getting an HDMI switch that will accept audio/video via HDMI, and then output audio/video via HDMI and audio via TOSLINK simultaneously. This way I can hear via TOSLINK while recording both audio and video from HDMI (in stereo though, of course). It also allows me to jump between all my HDMI sources with the push of a button (or by remote). Pretty handy thing so far:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011008&p_id=8146&seq=1&format=2

Slightly pricey for what I'm doing but it gives you lots of options.

Now I just need to figure out which Intensity will be best...

Kashou

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Don't get the shuttle unless you have the exact computer specs listed in the FAQ page, otherwise you're just wasting money and time.

Mike Squires

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Kashou wrote:Don't get the shuttle unless you have the exact computer specs listed in the FAQ page, otherwise you're just wasting money and time.

You do understand there is more than one Intensity Shuttle, right?

Kashou

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 am

Yeah you're right. Theres one for MAC too.

Return to Getting Started