Web Streaming Setup Advice

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

steveno

Web Streaming Setup Advice

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Hello All,

First of all thank you for taking the time to take a look at my post. I have been given the task of streaming our company events via WebEx and/or GoToMeeting. We have a very basic setup of using a Logitech C930 webcam on both the presenter and the audience. What we would like to do is be able to have a 2 x HD camcorder's and an audio system (lapel mic for speaker + microphone for audience) to have more of a professional setup for recording these events while also possibly helping to improve our streaming quality.

I have fairly good knowledge in computer/server equipment but am completely clueless when it comes to A/V hardware and software. After some research, I wasn't able to find many people using camcorder's as webcams these days so our plan may not be feasible as it seems like this was more commonly done in the past using firewire.

I would be very thankful if you guys could recommend some hardware/software to help us with our setup. One feature we'd like to incorporate in the new setup would be to switch the source of the video between the two camera's. I see that some people are doing this via a hardware switch while other's are doing this software. We have a budget of ~$1,500-$2,000. I apologize if this out of the scope of this section, but any pointers in the right direction would also be very helpful.

Thank you,

Steven

Chad

Re: Web Streaming Setup Advice

PostMon Jun 16, 2014 8:28 pm

I use GoToMeeting / GoToWebinar's "HDFaces" video feature regularly. The only way I've been able to get it to work with non-webcams is to use a capture card (like the Decklink and/or Ultrastudio Mini-Recorder) and a video format of 720p50 (I am in the US and 720p59.94 and 1080i59.94 did not work for me). For switching, you have 2 options, either buy a hardware switcher (the ATEM TVS is less than $1000), a capture card (either a Decklink or UltraStudio Mini-Recorder), and use CamTwist to scale the signal into GoToMeeting, or buy multiple capture cards and use Wirecast and CamTwist to feed the signal into GoToMeeting.

freecam

Re: Web Streaming Setup Advice

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 6:23 am

Hi there,

I webcast regularly and use an Intensity Extreme capture card for the main camera and firewire input for the second. I also use a webcam with USB for an audience shot. The main camera outputs HDMI 1080i 59.94 to the card which is connected via Thurderbolt input to my MacBook Pro laptop. I use Ustream Producer to do the switching and streaming. Works great. I plan to get a second capture card Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 to add another HDMI camera. I've got many thousands of dollars invested in cameras and other video production equipment. :)

Regards,
Freedom

Return to Getting Started